HD4890 Crossfire-x heat problem

Sepantari

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi guys

This is my first topic, with a small problem...
I own a PC with 2 Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-x 1GB graphic cards in it, they are placed above each other and configured in Crossfire-x.
While playing Borderlands the main graphics card gets 90 C, the second card gets only 70 C.

I was hoping there was a way of dealing with this heat problem without adding water cooling.
My PC case has a total of 7 fans in it so a steady air stream is no problem.

I hope you can help me with a way to keep the main cards temperature low

Welcome :)

Its really helpful if you list your entire system specs (E.g motherboard, processor RAM ETC.......)

I'd say this is a common problem with SLi and Crossfire setups. Depending on your motherboard you might be able to move the second card down to the third PCI-E slot(Providing your motherboard has one, and that it runs at atlest x8) Second option is to up the fan speed of the cards.

Sepantari

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Here is a detailed system spec list:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: 320 GB (raid 0) + 1,9TB external
Video Card: 2X Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X OC (in CrossfireX)
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair III Formula
Computer Case: Cooler Master CM 690 \

The Asus Crosshair III Formula only has 2 PCI-e slots... so thats a problem...

your motherboard has 2 slots inbetween the 2 PCI-E slots so there really shouldnt be that much of a problem, as I mentioned before have you tryed upping the fan speed on the cards?. You can do this in the catalyst control centre (CCC).

Your case isnt to bad. Maybe get some more powerful case fans?

Other than that im all out of ideas.

Sepantari

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Ok I just tested by creating alot of smoke and action in Borderlands and set the fanspeed of both cards to 70% the main card now gets 75 C and the second card gets only 55 C wich i can live with... So again thanks for the tips ;)

Sepantari

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

I actualy picked them because they have a good price-quality standard... and well.. a game-pc needs some high-end hardware :)