External Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in the early days of camcorders when the batteries weren't very good, I
used to sell a generic external battery that lasted 3 or 4 times the
original equipment. Is anything like that available for laptops? (4 hours
or so).

Thanks in advance... Bob

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> Back in the early days of camcorders when the batteries weren't very good,
> used to sell a generic external battery that lasted 3 or 4 times the
> original equipment. Is anything like that available for laptops? (4
hours
> or so).
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob

They make external batteries for laptops or you can make one your self. Most
laptops internal power supplies are made to operate over a range of
voltages. Find out what yours is and go for it. Lets see, a couple of deep
cycle Diehards strapped in your back pack ought get you through airport
security really fast ;-p

Great idea. Seriously, where might I fine these batteries, I don't even
know what to put in as a search term.

Bob

";-p" <no_spam_here34474@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> > Back in the early days of camcorders when the batteries weren't very
good,
> > used to sell a generic external battery that lasted 3 or 4 times the
> > original equipment. Is anything like that available for laptops? (4
> hours
> > or so).
> >
> > Thanks in advance... Bob
> >

> They make external batteries for laptops or you can make one your self.
Most
> laptops internal power supplies are made to operate over a range of
> voltages. Find out what yours is and go for it. Lets see, a couple of deep
> cycle Diehards strapped in your back pack ought get you through airport
> security really fast ;-p

Charlie

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:25:07 -0400, "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net>
wrote:

>Great idea. Seriously, where might I fine these batteries, I don't even
>know what to put in as a search term.
>
>Bob
>
>";-p" <no_spam_here34474@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
>> > Back in the early days of camcorders when the batteries weren't very
>good,
>> > used to sell a generic external battery that lasted 3 or 4 times the
>> > original equipment. Is anything like that available for laptops? (4
>> hours
>> > or so).
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance... Bob
>> >

>> They make external batteries for laptops or you can make one your self.
>Most
>> laptops internal power supplies are made to operate over a range of
>> voltages. Find out what yours is and go for it. Lets see, a couple of deep
>> cycle Diehards strapped in your back pack ought get you through airport
>> security really fast ;-p

To make your own system, look for a SLA 12 v battery (Sealed Lead
Acid) or a "Gel-Cell". These are 12 v batteries that can be recharged
with a trickle charger, and perform very well. You can convert the 12
v to whatever your laptop needs by using either an auto adapter for
your notebook, or converting the 12 to 110v AC using a small adapter,
then using your regular laptop charger on the AC line.

Charlie Hoffpauir

Just did a quick Yahoo search using "external battery laptop". Came up with
a bunch of items.

> Great idea. Seriously, where might I fine these batteries, I don't even
> know what to put in as a search term.
>
> Bob
>
> ";-p" <no_spam_here34474@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Back in the early days of camcorders when the batteries weren't very
> good,
> > > used to sell a generic external battery that lasted 3 or 4 times the
> > > original equipment. Is anything like that available for laptops? (4
> > hours
> > > or so).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance... Bob
> > >

> > They make external batteries for laptops or you can make one your self.
> Most
> > laptops internal power supplies are made to operate over a range of
> > voltages. Find out what yours is and go for it. Lets see, a couple of
deep
> > cycle Diehards strapped in your back pack ought get you through airport
> > security really fast ;-p

Forgot to say that they are a little pricey. Could probably but 3 or 4
regular batteries for the price of one external.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> Great idea. Seriously, where might I fine these batteries, I don't even
> know what to put in as a search term.
>
> Bob
>
> ";-p" <no_spam_here34474@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Back in the early days of camcorders when the batteries weren't very
> good,
> > > used to sell a generic external battery that lasted 3 or 4 times the
> > > original equipment. Is anything like that available for laptops? (4
> > hours
> > > or so).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance... Bob
> > >

> > They make external batteries for laptops or you can make one your self.
> Most
> > laptops internal power supplies are made to operate over a range of
> > voltages. Find out what yours is and go for it. Lets see, a couple of
deep
> > cycle Diehards strapped in your back pack ought get you through airport
> > security really fast ;-p

http://reviews.cnet.com/Hi_Capacity_SmartPad_90/4505-6459_7-30797138-2.html

CNET's comparsion:

Power to go

Battery name Price Dimensions (inches) Weight (pounds) Capacity (WHr)
Runtime Recharge time
Hi-Capacity SmartPad 90 $392 0.5 by 11.3 by 8.8 3.3 140 4 hr., 50 min.
4 hr., 15 min.
Electrovaya PowerPad 160 $450 0.5 by 11.9 by 9.8 2.6 160 5 hr., 5 min.
4 hr., 45 min.
Laptops for Less Universal ED350 $150 1.0 by 7.5 by 4.0 1.6 49 1 hr.,
5 min. 3 hr.
Valence N-Charge VNC-130 $300 0.6 by 11.8 by 9.1 3.0 120 to 130 4 hr.,
10 min. 3 hr

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Bob

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message

http://reviews.cnet.com/Hi_Capacity_SmartPad_90/4505-6459_7-30797138-2.html

> CNET's comparsion:
>
> Power to go
>
> Battery name Price Dimensions (inches) Weight (pounds) Capacity
(WHr)
> Runtime Recharge time
> Hi-Capacity SmartPad 90 $392 0.5 by 11.3 by 8.8 3.3 140 4 hr., 50
min.
> 4 hr., 15 min.
> Electrovaya PowerPad 160 $450 0.5 by 11.9 by 9.8 2.6 160 5 hr., 5
min.
> 4 hr., 45 min.
> Laptops for Less Universal ED350 $150 1.0 by 7.5 by 4.0 1.6 49 1
hr.,
> 5 min. 3 hr.
> Valence N-Charge VNC-130 $300 0.6 by 11.8 by 9.1 3.0 120 to 130 4
hr.,
> 10 min. 3 hr

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Hi_Capacity_SmartPad_90/4505-6459_7-30797138-2.html
>
> CNET's comparsion:
>
> Power to go
>
> Battery name Price Dimensions (inches) Weight (pounds) Capacity (WHr)
> Runtime Recharge time
> Hi-Capacity SmartPad 90 $392 0.5 by 11.3 by 8.8 3.3 140 4 hr., 50 min.
> 4 hr., 15 min.
> Electrovaya PowerPad 160 $450 0.5 by 11.9 by 9.8 2.6 160 5 hr., 5 min.
> 4 hr., 45 min.
> Laptops for Less Universal ED350 $150 1.0 by 7.5 by 4.0 1.6 49 1 hr.,
> 5 min. 3 hr.
> Valence N-Charge VNC-130 $300 0.6 by 11.8 by 9.1 3.0 120 to 130 4 hr.,
> 10 min. 3 hr

10 lb battery to power a 5 lb laptop?

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<HBaNc.15942$mL5.7473@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/Hi_Capacity_SmartPad_90/4505-6459_7-30797138-2.html
> >
> > CNET's comparsion:
> >
> > Power to go
> >
> > Battery name Price Dimensions (inches) Weight (pounds) Capacity (WHr)
> > Runtime Recharge time
> > Hi-Capacity SmartPad 90 $392 0.5 by 11.3 by 8.8 3.3 140 4 hr., 50 min.
> > 4 hr., 15 min.
> > Electrovaya PowerPad 160 $450 0.5 by 11.9 by 9.8 2.6 160 5 hr., 5 min.
> > 4 hr., 45 min.
> > Laptops for Less Universal ED350 $150 1.0 by 7.5 by 4.0 1.6 49 1 hr.,
> > 5 min. 3 hr.
> > Valence N-Charge VNC-130 $300 0.6 by 11.8 by 9.1 3.0 120 to 130 4 hr.,
> > 10 min. 3 hr
>
> 10 lb battery to power a 5 lb laptop?

That was my thinking exactly and then there is the price factor of a
store bought unit.

Adam Helberg wrote:

> "Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/Hi_Capacity_SmartPad_90/4505-6459_7-30797138-2.html
>>
>>CNET's comparsion:
>>
>>Power to go
>>
>> Battery name Price Dimensions (inches) Weight (pounds) Capacity (WHr)
>>Runtime Recharge time
>> Hi-Capacity SmartPad 90 $392 0.5 by 11.3 by 8.8 3.3 140 4 hr., 50 min.
>>4 hr., 15 min.
>> Electrovaya PowerPad 160 $450 0.5 by 11.9 by 9.8 2.6 160 5 hr., 5 min.
>>4 hr., 45 min.
>> Laptops for Less Universal ED350 $150 1.0 by 7.5 by 4.0 1.6 49 1 hr.,
>>5 min. 3 hr.
>> Valence N-Charge VNC-130 $300 0.6 by 11.8 by 9.1 3.0 120 to 130 4 hr.,
>>10 min. 3 hr

> 10 lb battery to power a 5 lb laptop?

Looks like the heaviest battery there is only 3.3lbs. But still, it's
definitely a significant fraction of your total weight. The question is
how much is it worth to you to have the extra runtime.

Given the heating problems that laptops have, what someone really needs
to sell now is a PowerPad with a fan. Any form factor besides the "pad"
layout would be too inconvenient to use on-the-go. (But I'm still
considering rigging up my own 16-cell pack for the purpose.)
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun

I bought a Hi Capacity battery from www.batterysavings.com and it's
working pretty good with my Sony Vaio. They had a really good price
too:

http://www.batterysavings.com/site/1/Product/%20/%20/%20/B-5755/a.aspx

http://www.batterysavings.com/site/1/Product/%20/%20/%20/B-5760/%20/a.aspx

One trick I learned from them is that if you purchase B-5755 or B-5760
you will receive a pack with all the tips for this battery making it
truly universal and capable of working with any laptop. But if you go
through configurator and purchase a part number with a letter at then
end you will receive only a tip for your device.