Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU unstable?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2012 3:57:36 PM

Hi,
I've gotten my 965:BE stable at 4ghz on 1.4v and I've ran Prime95 for 4 hours and no errors. However, when I'm playing Arma 2 for a few hours or even worse yet Diablo III for about 20 minutes my windows crashes, the game gets really choppy and some artifacts apear. Then it boots me out of the game and windows is the laggiest thing which it crashes almost all programs I have running. Things will flicker different color like link objects on a program if you hover over it and all around just slow.

I was able to open CPU-Z and my first 3 cores are at sub-5% usage and my 4th core was at 80-90%, and fluctuations on it and this was at basically idle.

I've even tried at 4ghz raising the voltage to 1.45.. where it should easily be fine but again same results.
I reverted to stock settings at 3.4 and don't seem to be having issues.

More about : cpu unstable

August 17, 2012 4:12:33 PM

Disable turbo if it is enabled.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 4:13:31 PM

Do you have turbo enabled?
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 4:16:47 PM

I don't think I have it on, would that be in bios?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 4:23:36 PM

That will depend on your motherboard.

My gigabyte calls it "core boost" or "core perfomance boost" something like that.

If you list your motherboard we may be able to google the bios layout or something.

And the default is on, so if you didn't turn it off, it's probably on.

m
l
August 17, 2012 4:41:12 PM

Z1NONLY said:
That will depend on your motherboard.

My gigabyte calls it "core boost" or "core perfomance boost" something like that.

If you list your motherboard we may be able to google the bios layout or something.

And the default is on, so if you didn't turn it off, it's probably on.

I have Asrock, but I just went into Bios and looked at all the settings and never saw a "boost" or "turbo". The only thing there is, is when it shows the bootup window (press blah to go to bios) on the right-hand side it says press 'x' to turn on Turbo UCC. But, I've never pressed it before.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 4:44:47 PM

Quote:
I've ran Prime95 for 4 hours and no errors...the game gets really choppy and some artifacts apear...I reverted to stock settings at 3.4 and don't seem to be having issues.

These are things that jump out at me. Prime only tests the CPU and not the GPU. You even spoke of artifacts appearing which would be a GPU issue. It could be a failing GPU, or a power issue. By only stressing the CPU with prime, a real game that stresses both the CPU and GPU might be more then your PSU can handle. Stock settings will use less power, so the PSU can handle that load.

Not meaning to be rude, but you failed. We know nothing about your OC settings, and we know nothing about your system other then a 965. Give us a bone if you want real help and fill in the details.
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:47:58 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:
I've ran Prime95 for 4 hours and no errors...the game gets really choppy and some artifacts apear...I reverted to stock settings at 3.4 and don't seem to be having issues.

These are things that jump out at me. Prime only tests the CPU and not the GPU. You even spoke of artifacts appearing which would be a GPU issue. It could be a failing GPU, or a power issue. By only stressing the CPU with prime, a real game that stresses both the CPU and GPU might be more then your PSU can handle. Stock settings will use less power, so the PSU can handle that load.

Not meaning to be rude, but you failed. We know nothing about your OC settings, and we know nothing about your system other then a 965. Give us a bone if you want real help and fill in the details.

It's not the GFX card because it did it on my old one, I just got a 7950 yesterday and it does the same thing.. its definitely not the graphics card. I have the CPU at default and it runs fine now, all I had changed was voltage and multiplier.

I have a 700w power supply, that is way more than needed.. its not the PSU.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2012 12:16:00 AM

If you can't find turbo, you can't disable it.

What is the model number of your motherboard?
August 18, 2012 5:27:54 AM

Best answer selected by gman94.
m
l
!