Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8 core zeon overclokc

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 17, 2012 5:36:55 PM



Hi I'm Pooh nice to meet you..

I try to overclock intel's 8 core zeon...

Ah..

Super computer...hahahah :)  I know It's not but I love it..

is it possible overclock 8 core zeon?

There is hardware lock?

More about : core zeon overclokc

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 7:41:48 PM

Xeons aren't meant to overclock- they are designed for system stability in servers and workstations. If you wanted to overclock, why wouldn't you just buy an unlocked i7 desktop chip?

Server/workstation computing power isn't all about 'clock speed'.
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 11:16:07 PM

Not really able to overclock the zeon chips from my knowledge as it was already stated these things are meant for pure stability.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 18, 2012 12:40:30 AM

This generation of E5 chips have locked multipliers.
August 19, 2012 12:28:52 AM


I know what is zeon

I just want overcloked 8 core ...:) 

What other core are not locked??? generation 2?
August 19, 2012 12:29:30 AM

amuffin said:
This generation of E5 chips have locked multipliers.



Is there any other 8 cores zeon not locked?
August 19, 2012 1:10:44 AM

lol
Xeons are some of the best cpu's to overclock

what is your motherboard OP
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 19, 2012 1:12:24 AM

No 8 cores of this gen have unlocked multipliers.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:04:35 PM

Pretty certain that Xeons cannot be overclocked- that would defeat their entire purpose. I believe that there are some older Xeons that had the ability to OC, but even then it was very limited and the boards that supported them wouldn't allow it or only allow minimal adjustments. I think this discussion is really trying to look at the idea of using hardware for something it's truly not designed or able to do.

Please tell me why you need any 8-core Xeon to run faster than it already does? What software are you planning to use that necessitates that? If you have something that does, then you need to look into a dual Xeon workstation board, not overclocking.

This is a classic case of a user knowing just enough information to make uninformed decisions over.
August 20, 2012 8:16:48 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Pretty certain that Xeons cannot be overclocked- that would defeat their entire purpose. I believe that there are some older Xeons that had the ability to OC, but even then it was very limited and the boards that supported them wouldn't allow it or only allow minimal adjustments. I think this discussion is really trying to look at the idea of using hardware for something it's truly not designed or able to do.

you can, I see it done many times
put one in a x58 system and let it rip
I seen a 2.4ghz xeon clock to 4ghz :o  with the right setup they're the best cpu for ocing

let me just find a few links


edit
here is someone with a 6 core one, overclocking
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714...

xeons are higher binned cpu's witch make the run far cooler and far more stable, witch = more ocing
the only hard part about ocing a xeon is finding the right mobo, don't look for a sever mobo, many top of the line desktop ones support xeons


OP
what cpu and motherboard do you have ?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 4:15:40 AM

I stand corrected; I thought the CPUs were also hardware restricted as are most motherboards for the socket. You make a good point that it depends on socket/chipset supported for which Xeons in question.
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 4:17:49 AM

Exactly, that's why I said this gen of E5 chips are locked!
August 21, 2012 5:31:41 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I stand corrected; I thought the CPUs were also hardware restricted as are most motherboards for the socket. You make a good point that it depends on socket/chipset supported for which Xeons in question.

ya, most xeons overclock
but finding the right hardware to OC them is supper hard :fou:  if not imposable
I been trying to find a dual socket 1366 mobo with sli, 1 pci socket and overclocking support
the closest thing I can find is the EVGA SR-2, but it has no pci socket. :??: 
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 5:36:20 AM

There's the SR-X for the Xeon E series, but that's a complete waste for overclocking.
August 26, 2012 6:20:34 PM

amuffin said:
There's the SR-X for the Xeon E series, but that's a complete waste for overclocking.



SR-X can do multiplier overclock?
August 26, 2012 6:22:18 PM

3dfxvoodoo said:
you can, I see it done many times
put one in a x58 system and let it rip
I seen a 2.4ghz xeon clock to 4ghz :o  with the right setup they're the best cpu for ocing

let me just find a few links


edit
here is someone with a 6 core one, overclocking
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714...

xeons are higher binned cpu's witch make the run far cooler and far more stable, witch = more ocing
the only hard part about ocing a xeon is finding the right mobo, don't look for a sever mobo, many top of the line desktop ones support xeons


OP
what cpu and motherboard do you have ?



Is there unlocked 8 core zeon?? I will use it for compiling of my program developpment ^^

If there is no unlocked 8 core zeon ... Can I overclock it as old time fsb prequency settup??

If SR-X have good overclocking ability I will use it :) 
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 7:20:07 PM

No.

These CPU's are not designed to overclock, so don't even try. It is very unlikely you will need any more power....
August 26, 2012 7:25:18 PM

amuffin said:
No.

These CPU's are not designed to overclock, so don't even try. It is very unlikely you will need any more power....




You have wrong Idea..

I overclocked zeon 2440 at my x38 board..

Zeon is just a cpu... nothing else..

And If I blow off my cpu it's okay to me:) 
August 27, 2012 4:19:13 AM

Cant you increase the baseclock for the extra 4-500 extra megahertz?
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 4:24:13 AM

puru1027 said:
You have wrong Idea..

I overclocked zeon 2440 at my x38 board..

Zeon is just a cpu... nothing else..

And If I blow off my cpu it's okay to me:) 

Yeah, well tell me if the current Xeons are designed for overclocking?
August 27, 2012 6:40:26 PM

amuffin said:
Yeah, well tell me if the current Xeons are designed for overclocking?

just about every cpu is not designed overclock
!