Swap HD 5850 for GTX 285

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi all. I don’t know if anyone knows of a website that deals in swapping? I have a HD 5850 that’s literally just a few weeks old. The card is an OEM card that came with no frills, no drivers, game or leads of any kind, but runs superbly. The problem is that I am really an Nvidia boy and my MOBO is Nvidia SLI. I was talked into buying this card as it was the nuts. I am not disappointed with the card at all it’s just the limitations that it has given me. Unless I change my MOBO setup I can’t SLI, if need be. Yes I know I should have thought about that before, hindsight is a great thing. So anyway I am looking to switch back to Nvidia. The card that is its closest competitor is the GTX 285 but if anyone has a 295 then that would be ok too :D . Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

shubham1401

Distinguished
Don't swap your card.
Hd 5850 is a better performer.
It has DX11 and most important lower power consumption.

If you really want nvidia so bad then get a GT300 card.
No point in downgrading to a DX10 card.

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Ok thanks for the advice. My problem is that I am affraid of the price of the new GT300 cards! I know the 5850 is DX11 but from what I have read any games that are DX11 compliant are a long way off, maybe I am wrong? I spent all my money on the 5850 so forking out for a GT300 I fear would not be in my price range.

Thanks

G

ive gotta bfg gtx 285 oc2 and has jus bought a asus maximus ii formula board therefore iv bin lookin to swap to ur exact card plz dont tell me u got rid?????? where u frm?????????

physics means what exactly when it comes to the raw performance?

X in the intel range denotes crossfire compatibilty like x38.x48 .x58,but nvidia got less uptight and allowed most intel x58 and p55 boards sli compatibility

G

if u turned physics off in nvidia control panel u wud prob be runnin at the same clock speeds as ati the only reason why nvidia cards take up so much power and giv off so much heat is becoz it has to run both game graphics aswell as physics

im stuck in 2 minds wot to do keep hold of my gtx 285 oc2 or swap for hd 5870 can u run sli on a xfire board (asus maximus ii formula)..........................if not i mite jus wait till the new fermi cards and then there will b no point of goin sli to many choses =)

if u turned physics off in nvidia control panel u wud prob be runnin at the same clock speeds as ati the only reason why nvidia cards take up so much power and giv off so much heat is becoz it has to run both game graphics aswell as physics

what bout games where no physics can be used what then? there are only a handfull of games that even use it

actually no nvidia cards run hotter and use more power because the cores on the cards are bigger then ati cards but ati cards draw roughly the same power because ati cards work faster then nvidia cards to achieve the same performance its a fundemental design difference in each brand

get the 5870 you will be happier when dx11 takes over

the nvidia 4xx series wont be much faster then the ati 5xxx series but the 4xx will be a lot more expensive

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=hOVim24yGru3f3g6

can only crossfire on the formula II

Yeh, the OP should realy stick to his current card. The only upgrade he could make that makes sense is buying 1 or 2 more 5850s for cross/tri fire. If he's realy dead on selling his 5850, i might be intrested in buying it.

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
ive gotta bfg gtx 285 oc2 and has jus bought a asus maximus ii formula board therefore iv bin lookin to swap to ur exact card plz dont tell me u got rid?????? where u frm?????????

I am in the UK, and to be honest am an Nvidia man, thats not to say the HD5850 is not a great card.

There are already four DX11 games, and a 5th will be released in 2 days(BF:BC2)

Name one thing the GTX285 can do with the matierials in the box, (3D Vision is out), that's any good or even usefull at all, when compared to the 5850. (PhysX is out).
Here are some thinbgs the 5850 can do.

1. DX 11

2. Faster Speed by a mile.

3. Is 100$ cheaper. (Newegg pricer, not Street price, On ebay, they are both like 250$)

4. Lower power usage/Heat.

5. Future proof card, won't need to buy a new one in a year when DX11 becomes usefull.

G

iv been lukin at reviews and stats and to b honest dont think theres much point up upgading at the mo, supposebly the new fermi cards are gonna piss all over ne ova cards on the market including the hd 5970!!!!!!!!!!! =)

G

heres a link plenty more around these's maybe premature results due to nvidia still testing and stuff all romours say nvidia will kick ass which u wud expect but who knows????

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/nvidia-fermi-benchmarks-leaked-geforce-gtx-360-380-performance-numbers-fake-68494/