Sign in with
Your question

Swap HD 5850 for GTX 285

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2010 9:29:09 AM

Hi all. I don’t know if anyone knows of a website that deals in swapping? I have a HD 5850 that’s literally just a few weeks old. The card is an OEM card that came with no frills, no drivers, game or leads of any kind, but runs superbly. The problem is that I am really an Nvidia boy and my MOBO is Nvidia SLI. I was talked into buying this card as it was the nuts. I am not disappointed with the card at all it’s just the limitations that it has given me. Unless I change my MOBO setup I can’t SLI, if need be. Yes I know I should have thought about that before, hindsight is a great thing. So anyway I am looking to switch back to Nvidia. The card that is its closest competitor is the GTX 285 but if anyone has a 295 then that would be ok too :D  . Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

More about : swap 5850 gtx 285

January 7, 2010 9:33:15 AM

keep 5850 mate it is a great card. If u are planing a higher end gpu u can buy gtx360/380 in couple of months
January 7, 2010 9:46:28 AM

Don't swap your card.
Hd 5850 is a better performer.
It has DX11 and most important lower power consumption.

If you really want nvidia so bad then get a GT300 card.
No point in downgrading to a DX10 card.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 7, 2010 9:59:13 AM

if you really want nvidia card i think it is better for you to wait for fermi.
January 7, 2010 10:03:21 AM

Ok thanks for the advice. My problem is that I am affraid of the price of the new GT300 cards! I know the 5850 is DX11 but from what I have read any games that are DX11 compliant are a long way off, maybe I am wrong? I spent all my money on the 5850 so forking out for a GT300 I fear would not be in my price range.

Thanks
January 7, 2010 10:12:58 AM

Just one thought..........is it possible to run Xfire on an SLI MOBO?
January 7, 2010 10:20:57 AM

aS FAR as i know u can run upto 4 cards on EVGA X58 classified mobo
January 7, 2010 10:21:19 AM

IF your Mobo can CF then it will be written on specs.
Some mobo can do both.

Anonymous
February 26, 2010 6:35:28 PM

ive gotta bfg gtx 285 oc2 and has jus bought a asus maximus ii formula board therefore iv bin lookin to swap to ur exact card plz dont tell me u got rid?????? where u frm?????????
February 26, 2010 11:46:59 PM

Anyboard can run Xfire. Not all boards can run SlI. Don't buy a GTX 285, it will use more power, heat, and is slower, and doesn't use DX11/Eyfinity.
Anonymous
February 27, 2010 7:45:58 AM

nvidia does have physics which ati doesnt!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 27, 2010 7:50:53 AM

physics means what exactly when it comes to the raw performance?

X in the intel range denotes crossfire compatibilty like x38.x48 .x58,but nvidia got less uptight and allowed most intel x58 and p55 boards sli compatibility
Anonymous
February 27, 2010 9:30:05 AM

if u turned physics off in nvidia control panel u wud prob be runnin at the same clock speeds as ati the only reason why nvidia cards take up so much power and giv off so much heat is becoz it has to run both game graphics aswell as physics

im stuck in 2 minds wot to do keep hold of my gtx 285 oc2 or swap for hd 5870 can u run sli on a xfire board (asus maximus ii formula)..........................if not i mite jus wait till the new fermi cards and then there will b no point of goin sli to many choses =)
February 27, 2010 9:48:08 AM

Quote:
if u turned physics off in nvidia control panel u wud prob be runnin at the same clock speeds as ati the only reason why nvidia cards take up so much power and giv off so much heat is becoz it has to run both game graphics aswell as physics

what bout games where no physics can be used what then? there are only a handfull of games that even use it

actually no nvidia cards run hotter and use more power because the cores on the cards are bigger then ati cards but ati cards draw roughly the same power because ati cards work faster then nvidia cards to achieve the same performance its a fundemental design difference in each brand

get the 5870 you will be happier when dx11 takes over

the nvidia 4xx series wont be much faster then the ati 5xxx series but the 4xx will be a lot more expensive

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=hOVim24yGru3f3g6

can only crossfire on the formula II
February 27, 2010 1:10:11 PM

Yeh, the OP should realy stick to his current card. The only upgrade he could make that makes sense is buying 1 or 2 more 5850s for cross/tri fire. If he's realy dead on selling his 5850, i might be intrested in buying it.
February 27, 2010 7:23:49 PM

way to dig up a dead thread
February 27, 2010 8:12:36 PM

Uh, Danny necroed it, not me.
February 28, 2010 1:45:47 PM

Quote:
ive gotta bfg gtx 285 oc2 and has jus bought a asus maximus ii formula board therefore iv bin lookin to swap to ur exact card plz dont tell me u got rid?????? where u frm?????????

I am in the UK, and to be honest am an Nvidia man, thats not to say the HD5850 is not a great card.
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 2:20:09 PM

gonesy said:
I know the 5850 is DX11 but from what I have read any games that are DX11 compliant are a long way off, maybe I am wrong?

There are already four DX11 games, and a 5th will be released in 2 days(BF:BC2)
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 2:22:15 PM

Quote:
if u turned physics off in nvidia control panel u wud prob be runnin at the same clock speeds as ati the only reason why nvidia cards take up so much power and giv off so much heat is becoz it has to run both game graphics aswell as

lol
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 2:32:15 PM

gonesy said:
I am in the UK, and to be honest am an Nvidia man, thats not to say the HD5850 is not a great card.

I live in the UK, You can always donate that 5850 to me :D  :sol: 
February 28, 2010 2:44:31 PM

Name one thing the GTX285 can do with the matierials in the box, (3D Vision is out), that's any good or even usefull at all, when compared to the 5850. (PhysX is out).
Here are some thinbgs the 5850 can do.

1. DX 11

2. Faster Speed by a mile.

3. Is 100$ cheaper. (Newegg pricer, not Street price, On ebay, they are both like 250$)

4. Lower power usage/Heat.

5. Future proof card, won't need to buy a new one in a year when DX11 becomes usefull.
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 8:50:57 AM

iv been lukin at reviews and stats and to b honest dont think theres much point up upgading at the mo, supposebly the new fermi cards are gonna piss all over ne ova cards on the market including the hd 5970!!!!!!!!!!! =)
a b Î Nvidia
March 1, 2010 9:06:50 AM

Quote:
iv been lukin at reviews and stats and to b honest dont think theres much point up upgading at the mo, supposebly the new fermi cards are gonna piss all over ne ova cards on the market including the hd 5970!!!!!!!!!!! =)

Got a link please?
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 3:51:59 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Got a link please?

heres a link plenty more around these's maybe premature results due to nvidia still testing and stuff all romours say nvidia will kick ass which u wud expect but who knows????

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/nvidia-fermi-ben...
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 3:57:07 PM

gonesy said:

where in uk im very interested in swapping i hav the receipts for my card that proves its age the card its self is very fast and has top notch performance, i need a ati card as i hav jus folked out for a asus maximus iii formula mobo which only supports xfire derrrrrrrrrrrr =) so if ya wanna sort summit out let me know
a b Î Nvidia
March 1, 2010 4:19:08 PM

Quote:
heres a link plenty more around these's maybe premature results due to nvidia still testing and stuff all romours say nvidia will kick ass which u wud expect but who knows????

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/nvidia-fermi-ben...

Even if you missed the "fake" part of the thread title and even the URL, you could have at least read further down the (rather short) thread and see that even Nvidia said those numbers aren't real rather than spreading misinformation.
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 4:38:14 PM

jyjjy said:
Even if you missed the "fake" part of the thread title and even the URL, you could have at least read further down the (rather short) thread and see that even Nvidia said those numbers aren't real rather than spreading misinformation.

haha my bad :s .............. maybe its jus me gettin excited i do reckon nvidia's fermi's are gonna have to be better that the hd 5970 though.... ano wot ya sayin though its all rumours and speculations at the mo, if you hear out thats actually correct wud you post summit on ere plz many thanks =)
March 1, 2010 5:02:44 PM

Quote:
haha my bad :s .............. maybe its jus me gettin excited i do reckon nvidia's fermi's are gonna have to be better that the hd 5970 though.... ano wot ya sayin though its all rumours and speculations at the mo, if you hear out thats actually correct wud you post summit on ere plz many thanks =)

im afraid fermi is currently only 5-10% faster than a 5870 and runs very hot if its true so dont get your hopes up mate.
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 5:31:01 PM

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sure its the 5870 and not the 5970?????? sure the gtx295 beats the 5870 but the 5970 beats the gtx 295 neway we will see soon about the fermi situation =)
March 1, 2010 5:36:33 PM

Quote:
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sure its the 5870 and not the 5970?????? sure the gtx295 beats the 5870 but the 5970 beats the gtx 295 neway we will see soon about the fermi situation =)

Well read this http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/20/semiaccurate-get...

dont wait too much from fermi.

i dont know how reliable semiaccurate is, you can hear it in the name already lol but anyway......
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 6:15:49 PM

yh i reckon they hav a point wiv the heat problems coz a few nvidia cards that r already released have heat problems probably due to the amount of voltage being pumped into em =) i still reckon the fermi cant be as bad as wot their sayin about it suppose we will see soon enough
March 1, 2010 7:42:19 PM

Oh wow. It looks the Fermi will sell a card. At first i thought it was going to sell 0 copies, but it looks like Toms will have to buy one to slam it in a rewiew.

EDIT: Wow, It looks like somebody gave me a neg. Why? I'm sating that nobody wants to buy a card that is louder, slower, and hotter than a 5970 for 200$ more than a 5970. Get over it. Stop being a passive aggresive loser and negging me.
Anonymous
March 2, 2010 12:57:06 AM

Hmmm how can ya even neg sum1's opinions that's jus sad get a grip u idiot :/  every1 has their preferences like ATI or NVIDIA lol! No1 shud b neggin wen it's just a simple debate!!!!
a b Î Nvidia
March 2, 2010 5:32:27 AM

builderbobftw said:
At first i thought it was going to sell 0 copies, but it looks like Toms will have to buy one to slam it in a rewiew.

Nah, review sites get review samples for free.
March 2, 2010 6:04:29 PM

Nope. Nvidia plans to cut out all honest rewiew sites, and NOT to send them samples. So Tom's is going to have to buy one if they want to rewiew it. They plan to do the same thing they did with the 250, and just not send out samples, to avoid the bad press. However, I'm hoping that the people at Tom's will get one anyways.
March 2, 2010 6:11:01 PM

Quote:

im stuck in 2 minds wot to do keep hold of my gtx 285 oc2 or swap for hd 5870 can u run sli on a xfire board (asus maximus ii formula)..........................if not i mite jus wait till the new fermi cards and then there will b no point of goin sli to many choses =)

Yeh, Negging people just isn't OK if they take the opposite side of you. THe only guy so far that realy warrents a neg is this guy, and i'm not even going to neg him. Only people that talk ot of thier ass on a certain subject and have no idea what they're talking about deserve neggs.
March 3, 2010 11:37:29 PM

Bump, This is pretty Funny. The same dude that Negged me is now sending me hatemail. His complete confusion as toward his sexual orientation, and his sheer iodicy is pretty funny. I'm going to post all future hate mail here now.

"u dick im gonna slag u every day jus for the fun of it!!!! coz u dont know fuk all!! u chat out ur arse u nugget, hope ur mam got raped wen she was little and ur dads a kiddy fiddler!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

This is the little Homo's profile.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/profile-583652.htm

Alright, i told him to post all his other start. Let the Flame year begin! I used to be a troll over here, since like 2004,

http://forums.explosm.net/

I got into hundreds of flame wars over they years, and ownd all of them. I finnaly got banned in 08 cuase i was able to obtain the phone number and facebook accounts of some guy i was in a flame war with, got my freinds form 4chan involved, and took things several steps over the line. I currentyl trying to get his phone number, email, anything. If you know his personal information, please post. He didn't post anything yet, so it looks like im gonna strike out.
March 3, 2010 11:52:13 PM

Triple post?

WTH are you doing? Trying to get his Phone number/email?
Get a grip.
March 3, 2010 11:53:16 PM

No, it's jsut not cool. He shouldn't be sending hatmail to me. Just way not cool.
March 3, 2010 11:57:32 PM

Maybe if you didn't post your address & email and get so emotionally involved then you wouldn't be having this problem.
March 4, 2010 12:28:52 AM

i didn't post my email, he send me PMs through Toms. I wasn't emotionally involved, but now i'm, pretty pissed of.
a b Î Nvidia
March 4, 2010 7:21:20 AM

You want to have an agruement over the internet....Thats pretty sad man. Like sabot00 said get a grip.
Obviously someone doesn't agree with what you posted and is being immature about it, so let them be annoyed.....
P.S noone gives a poo about how many flame wars you've won, Thats a pretty retarded thing to be proud of.
March 5, 2010 9:27:55 AM

i wont care, i have always been a Nvidia Fan, Yes i have had ati but what is ati doing for the 3d world in 2010??

Please post / email me and tell me what is ATI doing for 2010 in the way of 3D...

I Hear nvidia has nailed 3D With its graphics cards,, i spose they had to iron out the bugs so show ATI they do mean business...

March 5, 2010 1:33:45 PM

3d_computer_system said:
i wont care, i have always been a Nvidia Fan, Yes i have had ati but what is ati doing for the 3d world in 2010??

Please post / email me and tell me what is ATI doing for 2010 in the way of 3D...

I Hear nvidia has nailed 3D With its graphics cards,, i spose they had to iron out the bugs so show ATI they do mean business...

3D isn't worth dealing with the slow speeds and high prices of NVidia.
!