Unlocking the 4th core in my athlon II x3 440

neonmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi all,

I have been trying to unlock the 4th core but every time i do it will restart the computer and just sit there, it will be on but wont do anything, so i have to restart the computer and it will tell me that only 3 cores are running. (it says it in a mocking way too)

does anyone have any advice? i set it to unleashing mode too but that didnt help at all.

MOBO is Asus m4a785-m

neonmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
its a 410 watt one, I cant tell what brand though, it came with the case which is a HP workstation xw4200.

I wouldnt think it was that because i have OC it from 3 ghz to 3.30 without any hiccups.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You do realise there's a reason the 4th core is locked?

IT'S BROKEN

It's only ever been the luck of the draw that you can get cores unlocked and working - some people can, some can't.

Try throwing more voltage into the CPU to see if that helps, but the chances are you have a core that's actually and properly defective, so it's not going to work.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I'ld prefer you look for a corsair or OCZ psu. Rosewill are known to make really crappy psus, unless it is the 80+ certified one (which i still doubt).

Look for credited brands like coole master, ocz, carsair and antec.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
^ I wouldn't go for a Cooler Master either to be honest

Corsair, some OCZ, Antec, Seasonic

And honestly I'm not convinced it's the PSU - locked cores are usually locked for a reason. I think you have a genuinely defective core.

Let us know how it turns out.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I doubt the core is good and the PSU is causing the problem. If the core is unlockable it should unlock and show, at least in BIOS, as a quad. I have an Athlon II x3 unlocked, and it shows as a phenom II x4 in BIOS. If it won't boot right and then shows as an x3 again, it means it couldn't boot with those settings and reset to the default settings- wouldn't have done that with a bad PSU I don't think. Well- let us know if it unlocks with a new PSU.

rocky_1

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
if there is no ecc firmware option you have to update the BIOS then
make sure ecc firmware is set to hybrid
acc set to all cores or auto
and try turning cool and quiet off I have this helps some