Dead Motherboard

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I have an ASrock P55 Extreme that is about 6 months old. It shut down the other day and when I went to turn it on I heard a sizzle, then a pop and a puff of smoke from the left side of the board right behind the sound ports. Does anyone know Asrock's policy on overclocking? It is still under warranty but will ther refuse to replace it if I have custom overclock profiles saved in the bios. Just clearing it doesn't get rid of the profiles. Is there any way to clear them?

Solution
You probably have some damage to the board that they will spot when they examine it. I would be leary of reusing your power supply with a new board. Newegg had an msi h55 board for $60 after rebate yesterday.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008

I have been looking at reviews of my particular board and apparently it is a very common problem, even when there is no overclocking so I hope they will replace it. The power supply was the first suspect, but I tested every connection with my multimeter, and the voltages are rock solid. As far as the new mobo (if they refuse to replace it), it would have to be able to accommodate 2 5750s and a 9600gt (all dual slot cards). If I have to I'll probably shell out the extra cash and buy a board I know I won't fry, probably a Gigabyte if I can find one at a reasonable price. I sent an email to customer support about it on Saturday, so I hope they'll get back with me soon. I would like to figure out if there is any way to clear the saved profiles in the bios though, just in case they have a way to read it.