What will happen?

jamesisnear

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hello,
IF i buy WIndows 7 OEM without a builders license what will happen? will i be able to install it? or will it not work? why should I spend $200 when i can get this for $99?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
No problem buying OEM. It just means you have no tech support from Microsoft. Also means that as per the license agreement it is restricted to the initial MB install only.

But...

You are a Tom's user... will you need tech support from them? It's what I run (got with the MB at the same time)

Multiple times on the same PC, if u dont change mobo too many times.

Go with the OEM, the software itself is the same - your rights are different.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986
[fixed]"2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time. "[/fixed]
Read the post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/22055-63-what-difference-version-retail

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I did this and there is only one issue. You can not upgrade your motherboard. A new motherboard means a call to MS and it is up to them if you can transfer your windows 7 license.

MS doesn't make it suck much to wait though. They have been very thoughtful and nothing bad happens if you wait to register your machine. You simply can't get any new updates or features.

If you like your motherboard, then you are good to go with win7 OEM

jamesisnear

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Okay that makes sense. Im not done with upgrading my build and i was planning on getting a new mobo with bulldozer so ill wait it out. would i be able to upgrade my GPU after installation?

And if your mobo dies, they still OK the install on new one.

That's why people have a choice OEM and Retail with great discount in the price with some consequences : )