Sign in with
Your question

Need help with choosing case please. Antec 900 is out.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Antec
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 18, 2010 2:02:46 PM

Hello all,
I'm looking to put together a new pc.
Specs are:
i7 965
Asus X58 mobo. haven't chosen yet
2 GTX 285
2 Crucial m225 128gb raid
2 500gb HD
6gb ram
1000W PSU

I currently have the Antec 900 & with so many fans in the case I have to clean it every 3-4 months. It really is a nightmare to deal with.
So I want a new case. I'm willing to invest up to $300 for a case that has these specs:

-Full tower size case.
-3 120mm or 140mm front fans with filters
-2 120mm in the rear 1x200 or 2 x 140mm top extraction fans.
-1 side door fan optional.
-I need room for 3 optical drives 5.25"
-A lot of space between the motherboard and HD rack to fit the widest card available (so it's easier to slip in and deal with sata /power cords as well without being too constrained)
-Enough space below and above MB area for better cable routing from the back to the MB be it USB audio 1394 and power/reset/hdd light. The Antec 900 is too tight for this.
-cable for power reset HDD need to be longer than the short length by the Antec 900.
-PSU at bottom.
-140mm fan width case would be better so I can slide the MB & TRUE120 without problems. It's hard to do it with the 900.
-MB/HD tray not needed.
-no thumb/screws to remove side doors. QR a must. Is it possible to have the side door(removable) on a hinge?
-black matte paint inside semi gloss out.
-front connections 4 USB 3.0/esata/audio~mic/1394- no door
-I have no problem with the noise of all the fans.
-Cable management. enough room behind 2nd door.
-No Antec cases anymore. No coolermaster. Maybe Lian li.

Ports for cable management:
-top small port left behind MB for 12v cable from the back
-3 small ports running the bottom of the MB for audio/USB/1394/power~reset~HDD
-3 ports to the right of MB for routing cable be it sata/ power/fans
-1 port to the right of the PSU for excess cords. Not like Antec's diagonal port which looks horrible.

More about : choosing case antec 900

a c 248 ) Power supply
March 18, 2010 3:03:33 PM

You will need a full tower case that is at least 24 inches (610mm) in length from front to back to accomodate the longest video cards and still leave a little room. The case will also have to be at least 8.6 inches (218mm) wide to accomodate a 160mm tall tower style cpu heatsink and a fan on the side panel.

The rest of your requirements are extremely difficult to match up.

The reset switch and the 1394 port on the front panel are rapidly becoming obsolete.
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2010 3:06:58 PM

The usual suspects are HAF 922 or 932, Lancool DragonLord, Cooler Master Advanced Dominator II

Personally I'd look into the original Silverstone Raven RV01 or the new Silverstone Fortress FT02

Corsair Obsidian 800D?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2010 3:40:10 PM

Do you try look for the case in the Antec's site, Thermaltake's site, Lian-Li's site, Coolermaster's site?
March 18, 2010 4:48:27 PM

BTW, are there no cases that support USB 3.0? or will I have to use the rear MB connections?

@Saint, I did look at coolermasters, Antec, and lian li's website. I don't want CM or Antec cases anymore. I noted that in the list. They have great features in some things but lack important ones. For instance the Antec 1200 would be the top pick, but because the ports are in bad places and the fact they haven't added space between the MB and HDD rack is a no no IMO. it's exactly where there's tons of cabling going on, and it's hard to deal with when you have 2 gpu's. CM doesn't have the required fans i'm looking for. Thank you for your help& input.

@Henry The Lian Li PC-P80 is not to my liking.. moving the cooling front fans out of the way to get to the optic drives..if they did each fan separately I think it would be good. Not sure though. The Lian Li PC-X1000 looks more up to spec.. I guess they though thought outside of the box with the slender design. It's on my list..
Thank you.

@LePhuronn, the Corsair looks great. NOW THATS PORTING! it too is on my list.
Thank you.

@JL Thank you for the specs on what I need. It seems like the Corsair and the x1000 mixed together would be perfect. Fan on the side is optional. Thank you again.

Are there custom made pc case manufacturers? I'll go up to $400 if I can get those specs..
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 18, 2010 5:03:53 PM

First cases with USB 3.0 ports on the front panel will make their debut late next month.

For expensive custom cases take a look at the Mountain Mods web site:

http://www.mountainmods.com/
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 18, 2010 6:16:27 PM

Henry - That is the case that will become available next month in the USA. Pre-orders only right now.

Looks like a larger version of my Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord case.
March 19, 2010 2:17:56 PM

Yes Henry I saw that. Thank you for the link. I'm going to have to do some thinking. Yesterday I tried to edit the post but to no avail. The Corsair will be out since IMO it doesn't have proper cooling and seems more suited to WC. Even though it looks beautiful. The best PC case for me would be the Corsair if they had 3 front fans...

this case looks interesting:
http://www.mountainmods.com/pinnacle-24-cyo-p-498.html?osCsid=5eu5mvh7abj1hdv7c6tr3otfn6

But am I missing something...there's no racks for the HD/optics drives, no holder for psu, and no ports for cable managemen..horrible page with no info.
a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2010 2:31:09 PM

The Corsair 800D isn't that bad for air cooling if you whack 3 fans in the top, but yes it is very much geared towards water.
!