Thoughts on an idea

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I recently put together a new computer that has a 4870 video card. It runs windows 7 64 bit.

I've run into an issue where many of my games won't work. The games install OK and startup, but a few seconds after startup, I get a message on my monitor 'Video mode out of range'. My monitor is 1920x1200.

I think what's happening is the games are starting up in a resolution not supported by my video card. I don't think the problem is with the monitor since the games worked on my old computer using the same monitor.

On some of my games, not all, I was able to specify command line arguments to startup in a particular resolution or in a window and I was able to get to options to change the video settings.

I was thinking of using a different video card and then startup the programs, change settings and put my original card back. I don't have integrated graphics on my MB. I didn't think I would ever need it. My concern is I don't want to go through a huge hassle of trying to get windows working with a new video card. I want to avoid a nightmare where I have to fix a video issue while I can't see anything on the screen.

I have an old unused computer with a regular PCI card in. My MB is a core i5 board and I'm not sure a PCI video card will even work in it. I doubt I could locate a windows 7 driver for it, but maybe a 64 bit vista driver would work. It's a 5200 series nVidia card.

I could buy another card. Whatever the cheapest PCI2.0 windows 7 compatible card is. I figure the cost of the card will be less than the cost of the games.

Anyone have any suggestions?

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Instead of all this hassle, why don't you search the configuration files for your games? ALL games have some sort of configuration files which specify the settings (default or otherwise). Look for those files (most have the cfg extension) and change to a given resolution.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Believe me, I've tried. Either I couldn't find the right settings or the settings just don't work.