Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this true about how fast CPUs get updated?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 18, 2010 2:30:37 PM

I just took a certification class, and my instructor (who works for IBM) said that in general CPU speeds double every 18 months for the same price point. Is this true about how fast they get updated, and how fast do GPUs get updated?

More about : true fast cpus updated

March 18, 2010 2:34:41 PM

You'll have to ask your instructor that, he seems to hav all the statistics
March 18, 2010 2:36:22 PM

You can get statistics to prove anything...80% of all people know that
Related resources
March 18, 2010 2:45:09 PM

Statistics are like people.... If you torture them enough, you can make them say anything :p 
March 18, 2010 2:50:43 PM

roversjoost said:
Statistics are like people.... If you torture them enough, you can make them say anything :p 



+1 on that :lol:  :lol: 
a c 133 à CPUs
March 18, 2010 3:28:42 PM

Sounds like your gonna have to figure out your project for school all on your own. :pfff: 
a c 158 à CPUs
March 18, 2010 3:30:40 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Are you talking about CPU or GPU?, because you start with CPU and end with GPU
2- What do you mean with "double every 18 months?
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2010 3:48:10 PM

TheShadow1000 said:
I just took a certification class, and my instructor (who works for IBM) said that in general CPU speeds double every 18 months for the same price point. Is this true about how fast they get updated, and how fast do GPUs get updated?



This sounds like a (mis)interpretation of "Moore's Law", which states the number of transistors which can be economically placed in an integrated circuit doubles every couple years... More transistors can definitely process more data, but the law covers only transistors, not throughput. And definitely not clock speed - since that has fallen in recent years, rather than risen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law
a c 133 à CPUs
March 18, 2010 3:51:16 PM

And accordin to moores law it shoulda been to 10 GHZ.
March 18, 2010 3:51:48 PM

Scotteq said:
This sounds like a (mis)interpretation of "Moore's Law", which states the number of transistors which can be economically placed in an integrated circuit doubles every couple years... More transistors can definitely process more data, but the law covers only transistors, not throughput.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law



Lol... so thats what he meant :lol:  :lol: 
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2010 3:53:10 PM

saaiello said:
And accordin to moores law it shoulda been to 10 GHZ.




Moore's Law covers transistor density, not clock speeds. Like I said: This topic revolves around a Misinterpretation.
March 18, 2010 4:00:12 PM

ROFL.... lol... :lol:  :lol: 

And here i thought you could use some newly unearthed statistics to predict when ATI will launch the 67** series. :lol:  :lol: 

This guy should really learn to be attentive next time! :lol:  :lol: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2010 9:12:11 PM

What certification class was it you took?
!