Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
August 8, 2010 4:01:22 PM

My question is pretty simple:
I've got a P31 chipset motherboard at the moment and I don't like it due to the fact that it doesn't present me with very many overclocking functions. I know that with a decent motherboard I would be able to overclock my processor to 3GHz or more.

I heard a while ago that your OS is bound to your motherboard and CPU so you have to re-install Windows after replacing either of them.
So, if I buy a new motherboard which is completely different to my current motherboard, do I have to re-install Windows or not?

More about : installing motherboard

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2010 4:21:41 PM

Quote:
a new motherboard which is completely different to my current motherboard, do I have to re-install Windows or not?

The hard drive is loaded up with the system drivers for the P31 which will not function for a P45 for example. A clean installation of the OS as well as the latest system drivers for the new MB are recommended. At repair installation of the OS is possible, but not recommended.
Anonymous
August 8, 2010 4:25:32 PM

How come it's not recommended?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2010 4:28:31 PM

Have you ever performed a repair installation of an OS? Which OS do you use?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2010 4:40:00 PM

Here you go. Knock yourself out. Should the repair install attempt go bad, reformat and do a clean installation. Be sure to back up important data to disk or removable drive before you go to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...
m
l
Anonymous
August 29, 2010 10:51:40 AM

Best answer selected by dangerman200k.
m
l
!