Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone recommend the synology DS1511+

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2012 3:20:31 AM

i help run a small business that is looking into purchasing a Synology DS1511+. has anyone had any experience with this NAS device or any of the other Synology Disk Stations? we have about 6 individuals that need to connect to the NAS remotely when they are traveling and the software in this particular device seems to be the best for what we are looking for.

we need a localized place for a couple terabytes of data to be shared remotely, would this be the best choice for our needs?

any input would be greatly appreciated.
January 7, 2012 3:18:50 AM

I've had a Synology DiskStation DS1511+ for a couple of months now and couldn't be happier with it. When it comes to Synology, I really don't think you can go that far wrong. The admin interface is top and notch and makes setting up most of the standard functions a breeze. The only other consumer NAS on the market that I think goes toe to toe with Synology in terms of build, performance and features is QNAP.

If you're primarly planning on accessing this NAS remotely, the DS1511+ may be a little wasted on you as one it's biggest benefits is it's high throughput over wired LAN. If you wanted to save yourself a little cash, you could probably quite easily get away with a less expensive two or four bay unit.

That being said, the DS1511+ is a total overkill for my current home usage (it's idling 99% of the time), but I bought it because it of the fast Atom 1.8GHz CPU and due to it's expandability. This device should last me for a good few years to come.

My guess is that most of your remote access to files would either occur over VPN or WebDAV. You can read up on this over at the Synology blog: Remote access: WebDAV or VPN.

The beauty of WebDAV it's quite widely supported. To get an idea of what's possible, you may want to take a look at this blog post: syncing DiskStation folders with GoodReader over WebDAV. This may be a useful way for your team members to share files, should that be a requirement.

If you have any further questions, just shout.
m
l
!