Sign in with
Your question

Light system question

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2010 11:18:36 PM

I recently scavenged through an old XPS and took all the parts I wanted. In the proces I got the bright idea to take the board out that emits the lights for the front of the desktop. Can I make this work with another system?

It is a small board with two LEDs on it. On the dell it plugged into the motherboard and the lights were controleld from the BIOS. Do you think there is a way that by using electricity to certain leads I can make it emit color continuously?

the board has "r3783" written on it

this is the part:

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-4731/Dell-Dime...

More about : light system question

a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2010 8:28:28 PM

You mean the front panel LED lights for the power and hard drive indicators? I suppose you could make them shine continuously if you wanted to wire it directly to a power source yourself. But if you just want more lights so it looks cool, you can get a lot better things than that for like $7, plus you won't have to do any custom wiring.
m
l
January 15, 2010 4:39:52 PM

no not the front panel. this is the XPS neon light system. Displays most colors in the rainbow
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2010 6:02:40 PM

Ahh, I get it. Hadn't seen those before.

Yeah, those lights use a custom plug, but to my untrained eye, it looks like the standard red-white-green-black, plus a couple extra wires added on (maybe those control it? I don't know; just guessing).

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's probably possible to wire it yourself among those first four wires to make it shine continuously. Although I admit that figuring out exactly HOW you'd wire it is not my strong suit and you'll probably want the opinion of someone better versed in that kind of thing.
m
l
January 15, 2010 6:18:12 PM

yeah that's ok. My dad is an electrical engineer and works regularly with LEDs and sports lighting. Over the holiday season I had him look at it and I'm pretty sure we fried it following a 1 second burst of beautiful blue light...
m
l
!