Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Dimension 9100 Bios Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2010 5:19:29 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 with Intel Pentium D processor, all original. For the past few weeks it will not boot and I get the following at the top of my screen: XT BIOS P/N 113-A33437-102. Occasionally Windows will attempt to boot but the computer hangs shortly thereafter. I presume I have a BIOS problem. I have attempted on numerous occasions to get to the bios by using "F1" and "F2" at power up to no avail. I would appreciate any information to solve this problem or if it is terminal any help in determining the basic stats I need for a replacement motherboard. I'd like to go with an ATX board that will allow me to use DDR3 and an AMD quad core processor. I'm presuming my other components will work. I have SATA DVD, CD and hard drive. I have a video card with VGA, DVI and S Video output. Thanx in advance for any suggestions.
August 8, 2010 6:00:03 PM

Since I posted this I've been able to get to the Dell splash a few times and on one occasion I got past the splash to a screen that gave me the BIOS details followed by a message: Board Failure . Is that the final word on this? Thanx again.
m
l
August 9, 2010 11:14:17 AM

Since I didn't get any replies here I decided to do some experimenting. I removed three stips of RAM and started the computer with only DIMM 1 populated. It worked fine. I populated DIMM 3 and again, OK. I added DIMM 3 and got an error message. Just for the hell of it I populated DIMM 4 and again, it worked fine. I presume I have a memory problem. Since this is only an extra computer I'll use it as is until the problems pops up again and then either remove DIMMs 3 and 4 or replace them. Hopefully this is the end of it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 117 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 12:26:44 PM

Why don't you pull the battery and clear the cmos.
Then i would Memtest the ram sticks one at a time.
This will identify the faulty stick if any.
August 16, 2010 12:00:51 PM

Where can I find "Memtest" ? Does pulling the battery clear the CMOS or is that a separate procedure? Its been over a week and no problems so far. Thanx.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:01:39 AM

Best answer selected by negril.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
August 19, 2010 2:03:22 AM

negril said:
Where can I find "Memtest" ? Does pulling the battery clear the CMOS or is that a separate procedure? Its been over a week and no problems so far. Thanx.

Yes pulling the battery is a seperate procedure.Make sure everything is powered off.
Pull your power cord and depress your pc power button before doing this.
Memtest -http://www.memtest.org/ read the page for instructions and download the appropriate file for your os
m
l
!