Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to determine which sata I have

Last response: in Windows XP
August 7, 2012 11:31:32 PM

Hello, How can I determine which sata I have. WD tech was little help in determining what I have, in order to make my new WD HD install.

More about : determine sata

Related resources
August 7, 2012 11:45:33 PM

Thanks... I'm a total newbie to understanding the inner workings of PCs... Went to both links, but am unsure of how to proceed...
Score
August 8, 2012 12:02:12 AM

After calling WD's sales, and giving them the details of my PC, I was informed that the 1TB WD black internal HD would work, so I ordered one and received it yesterday. But when following the install instructions, I can't get the PC to recognized the HD, so the wizard can proceed with the install.

Called the WD tech support and was told that in all likelihood, it is because I don't have a new enough sata interface for it to work. Told I "might" try a jumper between pins 5-6, (but no info could be given as to where I might be able to purchase one of these jumpers), but it was likely it would not work anyway... Nor did the tech guy I spoke with provide me info on how to check which sata I have. (I thought I had sorted that out when I spoke to the sales, but apparently their sales guys are only interested in selling.) :( 

SO... Am trying to figure out how to determine what sata interface I have, so I know how to proceed...
Score
August 8, 2012 12:09:49 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html

Download and run ^
Thanks again... When I clicked download, it appears to indicate this os for win7... will this work with XP ?
Score
August 8, 2012 12:11:27 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/disk-managem...

Format and assign your drive a letter ^
I'm probaly doing it wrong, but I followed the instructions on the WD install information, which indicated to use the disk management tool, and while it opens a page showing all the rest of the drives, it will not recognize the new drive.
Score

Best solution

August 8, 2012 12:12:35 AM

Do you have the sata port enabled in the bios?
August 8, 2012 12:27:06 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Do you have the sata port enabled in the bios?

Like I said... I'm a TOTAL newbie, and have no idea how to do or check that... :??: 
Score
August 18, 2012 12:51:40 AM

Issue finally resolved... Turns out the BIOS was not set to recognize additional sata ports... :lol: 
Score
August 18, 2012 12:52:06 AM

Best answer selected by ob1jeeper.
Score
August 18, 2012 1:31:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!