Sign in with
Your question

Pc thinks my onboard sound card has optical jack and it doesn't

Last response: in Components
March 18, 2010 4:16:28 PM

I am having trouble getting sound to work on my pc and when I go into my sound options under the control panel the sound device that is enabled is a HD s/pdif with a rear optical jack that it is outputting through. the problem is my onboard sound card does not have an optical jack. it just has the 3 normal jacks. How do i get the sound to work properly. i look in my bios for what type of drivers to search for but it just lists it as HD audio. I know the motherboard is an Asus but beyond that i don't know.
March 18, 2010 4:22:21 PM

When you boot the computer up it should tell you what motherboard you have, or you could visit the ASUS site, and download an active x app there and it'll tell you what motherboard you have and tell you what you can download driverwise and get updated sound drivers there. Thats your best bet.
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:46:53 PM

Collie147 said:
When you boot the computer up it should tell you what motherboard you have, or you could visit the ASUS site, and download an active x app there and it'll tell you what motherboard you have and tell you what you can download driverwise and get updated sound drivers there. Thats your best bet.

well I found my motherboard and found the supposed best drivers (soundmax) and have them installed. everyone who had the same problem i had who used these drivers had it fixed.. now under sound in control panel it shows the correct sound card and when i click on test the green bar moves up and down with the output like it is supposed to be generating but i am not actually hearing anything still..
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 9:14:27 PM

Well, how about letting us in on the secret? What is the model number of your board? What computer do you have? Do you have a sound card? What is your operating system? What are you using for speakers?
m
l
March 18, 2010 9:53:36 PM

drazius said:
well I found my motherboard and found the supposed best drivers (soundmax) and have them installed. everyone who had the same problem i had who used these drivers had it fixed.. now under sound in control panel it shows the correct sound card and when i click on test the green bar moves up and down with the output like it is supposed to be generating but i am not actually hearing anything still..

You mentioned earlier that the S/PDIF was enabled, can you enable any other outputs? What version of Windows are you running?

Casey
m
l
!