Sign in with
Your question

Notebook wont boot, starts up then freezes everything except for mouse

Last response: in Windows XP
August 8, 2012 1:26:46 AM

I can only operate my notebook in Safe mode. If I try to turn it on normally, it will start up, and then moments after logging on, all sound stops, and I can't do anything, except move the mouse. The time freezes, everything freezes. Most programs I can access in Safe mode, but Not all. I believe that it is the drivers shutting off, but I am not sure. Please, any help would be great.
a b \ Driver
August 9, 2012 2:24:11 PM

kalbuir said:
I can only operate my notebook in Safe mode. If I try to turn it on normally, it will start up, and then moments after logging on, all sound stops, and I can't do anything, except move the mouse. The time freezes, everything freezes. Most programs I can access in Safe mode, but Not all. I believe that it is the drivers shutting off, but I am not sure. Please, any help would be great.

Boot from the Windows CD and repair the OS.
Or boot into safe mode and run sfc /scannow from a command prompt. (requires Windows CD to repair files)
m
l
August 9, 2012 4:05:31 PM

I don't have the CD. Do I need one? I can always get one...(I think). I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am not very tech savvy.. So, where can I get the CD?
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 9:25:56 AM

kalbuir said:
I don't have the CD. Do I need one? I can always get one...(I think). I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am not very tech savvy.. So, where can I get the CD?

If you can operate in safe mode, but not normal mode, it usually is a driver problem. Safe mode loads limited resources, and is not loading the problem one.

Try to restore windows to prior date (when things worked)
Cd is required for both Options I gave you (read the reply).
Borrow one from a friend.

There is a free product called keyfinder (Majicaljellybean) you can use to retrieve your Windows info stored on your hard drive. Contact Microsoft with all information and ask for CD. (might be a charge involved)
m
l
August 10, 2012 3:32:06 PM

ksiemb said:
If you can operate in safe mode, but not normal mode, it usually is a driver problem. Safe mode loads limited resources, and is not loading the problem one.

Try to restore windows to prior date (when things worked)
Cd is required for both Options I gave you (read the reply).
Borrow one from a friend.

There is a free product called keyfinder (Majicaljellybean) you can use to retrieve your Windows info stored on your hard drive. Contact Microsoft with all information and ask for CD. (might be a charge involved)

Thanks! I will definitely get a hold of that CD. I have done the windows restore, but to no avail. Again, thanks a bunch!
m
l
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 3:47:13 PM

kalbuir said:
Thanks! I will definitely get a hold of that CD. I have done the windows restore, but to no avail. Again, thanks a bunch!

It is not a CD. Just search the WEB for it, download & install it.
m
l
!