Notebook wont boot, starts up then freezes everything except for mouse

I can only operate my notebook in Safe mode. If I try to turn it on normally, it will start up, and then moments after logging on, all sound stops, and I can't do anything, except move the mouse. The time freezes, everything freezes. Most programs I can access in Safe mode, but Not all. I believe that it is the drivers shutting off, but I am not sure. Please, any help would be great.
5 answers Last reply
More about notebook wont boot starts freezes mouse
  1. kalbuir said:
    I can only operate my notebook in Safe mode. If I try to turn it on normally, it will start up, and then moments after logging on, all sound stops, and I can't do anything, except move the mouse. The time freezes, everything freezes. Most programs I can access in Safe mode, but Not all. I believe that it is the drivers shutting off, but I am not sure. Please, any help would be great.

Boot from the Windows CD and repair the OS.
    Or boot into safe mode and run sfc /scannow from a command prompt. (requires Windows CD to repair files)
  2. I don't have the CD. Do I need one? I can always get one...(I think). I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am not very tech savvy.. So, where can I get the CD?
  3. kalbuir said:
    I don't have the CD. Do I need one? I can always get one...(I think). I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am not very tech savvy.. So, where can I get the CD?

If you can operate in safe mode, but not normal mode, it usually is a driver problem. Safe mode loads limited resources, and is not loading the problem one.

Try to restore windows to prior date (when things worked)
    Cd is required for both Options I gave you (read the reply).
    Borrow one from a friend.

There is a free product called keyfinder (Majicaljellybean) you can use to retrieve your Windows info stored on your hard drive. Contact Microsoft with all information and ask for CD. (might be a charge involved)
  4. ksiemb said:
    If you can operate in safe mode, but not normal mode, it usually is a driver problem. Safe mode loads limited resources, and is not loading the problem one.

Try to restore windows to prior date (when things worked)
    Cd is required for both Options I gave you (read the reply).
    Borrow one from a friend.

There is a free product called keyfinder (Majicaljellybean) you can use to retrieve your Windows info stored on your hard drive. Contact Microsoft with all information and ask for CD. (might be a charge involved)

Thanks! I will definitely get a hold of that CD. I have done the windows restore, but to no avail. Again, thanks a bunch!
  5. kalbuir said:
    Thanks! I will definitely get a hold of that CD. I have done the windows restore, but to no avail. Again, thanks a bunch!

It is not a CD. Just search the WEB for it, download & install it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Safe Mode Mice Notebooks Windows XP