Last Minute Question - PLEASE HELP!

Imperfectimage

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hello,

I have previously made a thread but can't seem to edit my original post. This is the first time building a system and have little knowledge about it. I have tried researching for sometime now but all the different information confuses me....I have usually relied on Sony or Dell to make the computer for me :sweat: I am about to make my purchases but had a few last minute questions. Here is some general information before I ask:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next week or so.

BUDGET RANGE: 800-900ish After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching movies/listening to music, gaming, other (work i.e. microsoft office, etc.)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, keyboard, mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com (that is the only website I know of..any other recommendations?

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not really sure which parts to use, but AMD X4 955, Gigabyte mobo and HD 5770 is what I am sort of looking at right now....

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (once I learn more on this, yes)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (I figure this is important for gaming purposes (?) and I am not hardcore into gaming)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080,

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to have a quiet pc that I won't have to mortgage my house for. I would also like to have a pleasant gaming experience but I don't need to have it to a point where a bullet will seem to really be shooting out at me..as long as I see movement, I am fine ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - OEM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

OCZ Technology OCZ700SXS and Cooler Master RC-922M-KKN1-GP COMBO

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 and AMD Phenom II X4 955 COMBO

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions were regarding the video card and the power supply. From what I have read, the new 5770 with the egg shaped shrouds are better in terms of temp and noise. So I know that I should probably get the newer 5770's. However, I can't decide between MSI R5770-PM2D1G OC/Seaweed Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail and the video card I have listed above, mainly because I have no idea what I am doing :cry: The only difference I can see between the two (from side by side spe comparisons) is that the core and memory clock is higher for the MSI...which I have no clue on what it means.

Second, the case that I am buying comes with a psu as a combo. However, the PSU is not "80 PLUS certified." I was wondering if this made a significant difference?

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

The 5770 is touted as a DX11 card but, from what we have seen so far, it choked when DX11 was turned on in Dirt2 at 1920 x 1200. Since the 5770 is outperformed by both the 4870 and the 260, the only reason to get the 5770 (other than the climbing prices of the 260 and 4870) is because it's DX11....but if utilizing DX11 drops the fps down to below 30 fps in a game with even minimal DX11 implementation like Dirt 2, that reasoning goes out the window.

Based upon what we've seen so far, at 1920 x 1200 / 1080 resolution, I think we have to consider the 58xx series the entry point into DX11

Imperfectimage

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Thank you for responding.

So should I scratch the 5770 and go for the 5850? I wanted to stay within a certain budget but am willing to be a little flexible if need be. Would both of you agree that avoiding the 5770 would be the wise choice?

And as for the case, would it be able to fit everything inside? I don't have a definite image of how the placement looks like, but I have read stories/reviews of cases being too small.

Thanks!

Imperfectimage

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Proximon,

sorry for the many questions...but I have one (hopefully) more. The last combo you linked with the PSU states that is 80 plus certified, but it doesn't say anything about being an "active PFC"...which i am not to sure if it is important or not. I probably should just go with what you linked since I am new to all this, but I just wanted to know out of curiosity....as well as to be on the safe side. Second, so would you recommend that I go with the 5850 then? Is the 5770 not worth the money? And last, I was wondering if you could do a last minute quick check on my parts to see if you can think of anything better off the top of your head?

Thank you

Most modern PSUs, and any that are worthwhile, have active PFC. You can tell because they will not have the little red switch in the back to change input voltages.

Two 5770s at $300 is not a bad way to go. One 5770 strikes me as being a bit underpowered at your resolution. So, either do the crossfire up front or get the single 5850 now.

Tom's Hardware has the new January GPU buying guide up. You'll find it linked on the front page.

Imperfectimage

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I still couldn't pull the trigger on case purchase..I have a question of comparison regarding the power supplies that come with it (I like the antec case better, but I will go with the combo that has the better overall psu). I have noticed that the CM has "PLUS silver" while the antec has just "PLUS 80" on it. And regarding the brand, I have so far read mainly good reviews for both, so I am wondering if there is a major gap between the two in your opinion?

COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply - Retail

or

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Retail

Imperfectimage

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
nvm, reading Proximon's thread about psu's :) so from what I can gather, the 80 PLUS Silver is better than the 80 PLUS alone. If I may ask a question though...does the silver rating make a really big difference in terms of power conservation (that is what the PLUS ratings determine?) compared to the regular PLUS rating? And if it does not, would you say that one brand is better over the other? And finally, would 50 watts really be that much more beneficial to me (I think I have been told that even 700 may be overkill)?

Thank You

In general, I would favor Antec PSUs over CM.

The two are similar in terms of an overall ranking I think, but have different strengths.

CM 700W: Better efficiency, longer warranty.

Antec EA750: Hybrid modularity, a few more 12V amps, 3 year warranty

So I think either choice is fine.

You are using a crossfire board, so it's not unreasonable to get those extra 4 amps on the 12V rail... they could come in handy.

If you like the 902 more than the HAF, go for it... just be aware that the HAF is easier to build in and accommodates longer video cards easier.

Imperfectimage

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
oh wow, I just compared the dimensions and the HAF has almost 2 inches over the 900 and 902 in every direction...ok, I think I will stick with the HAF for the sake of ease...I have a feeling COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail will be easier to install in the HAF case as well..I have also decided to go with the 5850 instead of getting two 5770. Anyways, thank you for all your help! :D