Sign in with
Your question

Will this radiator do?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 18, 2012 12:21:51 PM

Hello,
I am looking to water cool my system. I am currently working on my first build and I want to know if the xspc x360 rad will be sufficient for my i7-3930k and evga gtx 680. I will also be using the new Swiftech Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Standalone Reservoir w/ Dual MCP35X Pumps. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated :D 

More about : radiator

August 18, 2012 4:26:22 PM

MorkDork1 said:
Hello,
I am looking to water cool my system. I am currently working on my first build and I want to know if the xspc x360 rad will be sufficient for my i7-3930k and evga gtx 680. I will also be using the new Swiftech Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Standalone Reservoir w/ Dual MCP35X Pumps. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated :D 

are you going to overclock?if not then 360mm would be enough/...
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 19, 2012 12:44:54 PM

You don't need two pumps there, both blocks on one loop is your better option
but yes, without overclocking the ex360 will do, I have two myself and although I prefer the RX series, I'm very happy with the performance on them,
as mentioned, read the sticky, its very useful
Moto
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2012 1:16:24 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You don't need two pumps there, both blocks on one loop is your better option
but yes, without overclocking the ex360 will do, I have two myself and although I prefer the RX series, I'm very happy with the performance on them,
as mentioned, read the sticky, its very useful
Moto

if he keeps his radiator out of his case and far away from the other components he should use the dual mcp655 pump
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 19, 2012 1:37:31 PM

Yeah, most new W/c guys don't usually even consider the possibility of external mounting or radboxes until they've been doing it a while :) 
but yes, thats the main reason I used another res/pump in my build, to maintain flow pressure on return to the main unit
@Op, had you considered an external mount or radbox, or were you planning on having it internally?
Moto
m
l
August 19, 2012 3:39:53 PM

I have considered external mounting. I have seen some with the rad on top of their case, and even some mounted on a wall next to their case. I want to do whatever will keep my system as cool as possible... and I do plan on overclocking but nothing extreme.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 19, 2012 4:06:58 PM

Ok, do you fancy a radbox with 2 360's in it? That way your main Pc can stand on the box, a ton of lowspeed fans will keep noise down btw,
Theres a build in the W/c gallery with two 480's mounted on the righthand panel if thats more your thing?
Check the sticky out but remember,
More radspace allows for better cooling with more fans at lower speeds, but there are endless possibilities to play with, you dream it, we'll help you build it,
What case are you using btw?
And I assume you're handy enough with a driill/dremel? :-p
Moto
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:43:18 AM

^+1....
@MorkDork...you can build one your own/if you dont know how to build a rad box or if you dont have time,you can buy a radbox like the danger den triple 360mm rad,pump and reservoir holder....
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 2:27:11 PM

Quote:
if he keeps his radiator out of his case and far away from the other components he should use the dual mcp655 pump

Not necessarily true. Restriction is the real concern for any loop, not total tubing length. Yes, tubing does offer 'some' restriction as does everything the water in the loop touches, but it's very minimal. Having a few extra feet for the pump to push water through isn't going to be a big enough deal to warrant 2 D5's when 1 is enough. Remember, a pump is pushing water just as much as the inlet is pulling it.
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:46:12 PM

I am using a cooler master haf 932 case. I don't care about noise level either performance > all :D  I have tried playing around and doing some measurements in my case but really I just have no idea what do to. I know that air flow is really important and depending where I mount my rad I don't want it to decrease the flow in my case. Also, if I mounted it on top of my case what would happen to the large fan that is up there? Would taking it off for the radiator be worth it? Meh -.-
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:30:56 PM

If you use an external box, you don't upset the internal airflow at all, mines here if you want to see a homebuilt box version,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274180-11-psycho-ri...
4Ryan6 used a spare Pc case to build his into,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275185-11-exploring...
or as mentioned there are now commercially available options,
you can have it completely removed from the Main Pc so you can leave as is or even add more fans to the case,
and yes, both myself and Ryan would tell you that it is completely worth it, my Delta is 0-2c when room temp is 28'C and Ryan is sub-ambient so the reults are well worth the time invested
Moto
m
l
!