WHY are AMD FX60 939 CPU's so expensive after 6 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
hey there

I've been doing some research on this cpu, but I'm wondering if anyone has some solid info on them.

I've looked all over and this cpu is not found for lower than $124 USED
I found another one for almost $400 USED
and $600 new!

they're 6 years old and I would believe less efficient than an intel i7, or an AMD PHENOM 9850 DC.

anyone has some info on this? please share.

thanks.

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
they're not manufactured anymore because they're old and slow
who'd want to pay top dollar when you can pay less for a better cpu?
it just doesn't make sense.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I got a 3500 and 4000 San diego single core. The opteron 185 i currently use can still keep up so far. You should just by new tech, they got hexcores now.

Well, lets say you built a pretty good socket 939 system, or built it from used parts, and you have something like two 8800GTs in SLI, two or more IDE Hard Drives in RAID, and your 4GB of overclock able RAM. All that system needs to be decent is an upgrade from the single core Athlon it's likely running (or to replace the one you burned out overclocking), so to those users buying an FX-60 and overclocking it is just what they are looking for to keep that machine gaming a little longer. For them, upgrading means replacing just about everything, so they look at the FX-60 as the best option and that's why sellers can pay so much for it..

G

Supply and demand.... No supply of Jaguar E type, but huge demand, old car, can be outperformed by pretty much every hot hatch on the market, but you try buy one without a huge investment portfolio!!

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

thanks.
so far this is the most sense-full response.
It makes sense.

cuz if you want to replace everything, you'd have to spend at least 600-1000 bucks for something decent.

I just spent 1700 on upgrade stuff
including a 5970 ati, haven't used it yet but its on the way.

indecipherable

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Well, I'm considering this right now because I run ..

4GB corsair XMS platinum series DDR 400 - overclocked.
3x 2TB SATA seagate barracudas
Dual IDE-133 panasonic dvd burners
THeatrix TV tuner 650
2x XFX 1GB GDDR 5 PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards
X1950 SAPPHIRE ATI AGP graphics card

... BUT a AMD ATHLON 64 2.2Ghz single core (five years old)
So to maintain this system rather than rebuilding the system,
A FX60 2.6 Ghz dual core would keep me gaming for a little while longer for $200.00 and when I require
a new machine in a year I can run this one as nice secondary.

JWiRX

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Good responses. I just recently got my hands on a brand new FX60 for $225. Absolutely new, for my older Asus A8NSLi Deluxe board running 4Gb Corsair XMS2 LED ram, 10K OS drive, 2 BFG 7800GTX overclocked nVidia graphics cards, but all of it was run by an Athlon 64 4000+ (single core) chip.

The FX60 is the end of the line for the 939 socket motherboards, and they are quite the workhorses for this setup. Its a huge improvement over what I had, so the money was well worth it. I use this as a gaming rig and video editing/graphics, so the upgrade made a ton of sense. This computer runs faster than most of the laptops I have seen unless you are spending over $2,500 on it. Desktops it shows its age against newer stuff, unless you buy it from HP or one of the mass makers generic stuff. When I put this one together, it was a big investment, and the only thing I did not splurge on at the time was an FX chip. They only had the FX57 at the time, so not worth the price premium. Once they made the FX60 and decided that was it, it was just a matter of time to wait for a good deal. Only took 6 years. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.