Overclocking a i5 3570K with P8Z77 VL-X, help + cooling question?

shmokeh

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Ok so just built my first setup!
Skipped alot of the components as it was cheaper and easier to get them delivered in a bundle (would have brought the same seperatly anyway!)
This is basically the setup I brought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120905759420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

A you can see the heatsink and fan is massive (takes up most of the case, the picture on the auction doesnt do it justice, ultra silent too) although im not sure on the exact model and whether its adequate for an OC?
Ive also got 4 more fans on the case, and one 12" below the PSU The 2 side fans can be turned of at the side as they are quite loud, with them off the setup is almost silent even under heavy load. Ive never seen it exceed 40 degrees although I havnt really stressed it much yet.

Now ive placed the CPU fan and heatsink facing the rear of the case and is inches away from the 12" fan on the back of the case (with the idea being air is drawn straight to it) Is this a good idea or should I have it facing away from the fan?

Also ive only ever used AMD overdrive to OC, I thought I could use a similar software to OC but cannot find one. Theres a CPU overdrive switch on the board and OC auto options in the bios, ive left these both on as theres no point in me trying to OC if im unfamiliar with the BIOS OC options. With this will it reach decent OC speeds or should I do it myself? If so are there any good guides online? The only decent one I found was this (its made for another CPU with different options and its rather unclear, although the bios is pretty much identical) http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

Thanks,
Josh

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
The cooler is not bad for overclocking but the CPU you have can generate a lot of heat when overclocked. So, it's a decent cooler and should allow to do some overclocking without overheating, but you will still probably hit a "heat wall" with that cooler before you hit a voltage/stability limit.

I don't think AMD overdrive works on intel systems and your link shows an Intel i5 3570k.

If you are going to overclock that rig, you should use one of the guides and your BIOS to do it.

Also, your system appears to have been sold as "already overclocked." Have you checked to see what speeds you are running at now? -With a program like CPU-Z ?

shmokeh

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I dont plan to use AMD overdrive, just ment its the only software ive used before to OC and only thing I have experiance in.
Anyway as you said its already OC'd (dont know how, when i received it it was still packed in its original box/plastic wrapper, there was a small hole where the cpu and aftermarket fan was placed and that was it!) so I checked the bios and there was a profile set for 4500MHz, activated it and tried it out with folding@home CPU-Z and speedfan.
The clock speeds are constantly running at exactly 4500MHZ, dropping and increasing by 0.5 occasionaly (think its capped there in bios somehow) and the temperature has reached a peak of 50C in the last hour with 48 being average.
Is this an acceptable temp? And would I get better temperatures if I turned the fan away from the fan on the back of the case?
Thanks for the help, more than happy now!

TRENDING THREADS