Your question

SSD - Limited space, Win7 and programs

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2012 1:01:04 PM

I have a 128GB SSD card. Just installed Win7 Pro. Now have about 70GB left. Other programs I use are Microsoft Office, Lightroom 3, Adobe Master Collection and 5 different browsers, as well utility apps. I'm pretty sure I'll max out the size before i finish installing all those programs. I have 3 large HDD also. This must be a common issue at the minute because of the relatively small size of SSDs. What do others do regarding where to install other applications?

More about : ssd limited space win7 programs

a c 392 G Storage
January 3, 2012 2:14:12 PM

For programs that don't require a lot of I/O like office, web browsers, email, and such, should probably be installed on a standard hard drive. You could also just put the programs you use most on the SSD and the others on the hard drive.
m
l
January 9, 2012 11:16:03 PM

By implication that means put programs with lots of I/O on the SSD. I thought that would be detrimental to the life of the SSD since they have a limited lifetime in terms of number of writes. Am I misunderstanding something?
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
January 10, 2012 10:37:44 AM

Well, more reads than writes, like games. Once installed different levels have to keep getting loaded (read) in, but there are rarely writes other than checkpoints and saves. I think most people are buying SSD's for their OS and games. I can't personally see the need to load office documents faster.
m
l
!