Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Power Supplies and Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 18, 2012 2:52:29 PM

So I'm trying to figure out here, if you need a power supply that is higher in wattage for serious overclocking. Overclocking not just the processor, but the GPU as well.

I've been looking in to a fully modular power supply for my testbed for obvious reasons, and I've come across a budget friendly, and what seems to be reliable, 750 Watt power supply from Ultra. Here it is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

What do you guys think? Any recommendations? I am trying to keep it at $100 or less. I will be doing dual SLI, and nothing above that like tri SLI, or quad. Also I will be using an i5-2500k.
a c 241 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 3:39:19 PM

Ultra LSX 750 W is good
or other option is Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green / XFX pro 750W if can find at tigerdirect
Score
0
August 18, 2012 9:21:36 PM

None of those power supplies are fully modular.. :/ 
Score
0
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 9:32:54 PM

h2l said:
None of those power supplies are fully modular.. :/ 


Why does it need to be fully modular, anyway? You have to use the 20+4 pin connector, regardless.

I suppose it helps in a test bed setup, but really, is it that big of a deal?
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 10:02:23 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Why does it need to be fully modular, anyway? You have to use the 20+4 pin connector, regardless.

I suppose it helps in a test bed setup, but really, is it that big of a deal?


Totally Agree!

h2l said:
So I'm trying to figure out here, if you need a power supply that is higher in wattage for serious overclocking. Overclocking not just the processor, but the GPU as well.

I've been looking in to a fully modular power supply for my testbed for obvious reasons, and I've come across a budget friendly, and what seems to be reliable, 750 Watt power supply from Ultra. Here it is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

What do you guys think? Any recommendations? I am trying to keep it at $100 or less. I will be doing dual SLI, and nothing above that like tri SLI, or quad. Also I will be using an i5-2500k.


Regarding overclocking relation to a power supply is yes you need more power to stay in a safe zone, too many try to buy just barely enough power rating to get by, when in all actuality it's better to have more than you need, as the power supply only draws what it needs, but if the power load is not there to draw, you'll have problems, simple as that.
Score
0
August 18, 2012 10:25:52 PM

Ultra is 100% rubbish. I'd get a Corsair TX 750 v2 or if you really want modular a Corsair AX-750. Both will last a long long time. Antec would be my last choice.
Score
0
August 19, 2012 5:29:40 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Totally Agree!



Regarding overclocking relation to a power supply is yes you need more power to stay in a safe zone, too many try to buy just barely enough power rating to get by, when in all actuality it's better to have more than you need, as the power supply only draws what it needs, but if the power load is not there to draw, you'll have problems, simple as that.


Alright then, do you have a wattage in mind that would be appropriate for my usage? I feel like 750 should be enough, but I've never done serious overclocking before so I don't know. Also, I guess the power supply does not have to be fully modular, like you guys stated, I need the 24pin cable anyways, but I would overall really just like a fully modular, or mostly modular power supply because of how easy it is, and how organized you can really keep everything.

So with that in mind, any suggestions?
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 7:19:15 PM

h2l said:
Alright then, do you have a wattage in mind that would be appropriate for my usage? I feel like 750 should be enough, but I've never done serious overclocking before so I don't know. Also, I guess the power supply does not have to be fully modular, like you guys stated, I need the 24pin cable anyways, but I would overall really just like a fully modular, or mostly modular power supply because of how easy it is, and how organized you can really keep everything.

So with that in mind, any suggestions?


No problem, just list all of your exact specs and don't leave anything out the power supply will be running, and your full overclocking intentions, (meaning CPU?, GPU?)?
Score
0
August 19, 2012 7:30:44 PM

4Ryan6 said:
No problem, just list all of your exact specs and don't leave anything out the power supply will be running, and your full overclocking intentions, (meaning CPU?, GPU?)?


Well I have the i5-2500k and a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5h, which I definitely want to overclock and play around with. I haven't decided what GPU's I will be going with yet, but it will definitely be a dual or tri SLI/Crossfire setup. 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz memory. A junky CD/DVD burner, and for now, just my 250GB Barracuda HDD. I'm considering moving up to a SSD, but I like to format a lot and I hear you destroy SSD's when you format them. I plan on running a liquid cooling setup as well when I start to get deeper in to overclocking.

Is that enough information?
Score
0
a c 110 K Overclocking
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:52:03 PM

amuffin said:
Yes! Someone that agrees with me! :na: 


:D 
Score
0
a c 150 K Overclocking
a c 110 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:52:39 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Why does it need to be fully modular, anyway? You have to use the 20+4 pin connector, regardless.

I suppose it helps in a test bed setup, but really, is it that big of a deal?

Yes! Someone that agrees with me! :na: 
Score
0
a c 150 K Overclocking
a c 110 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:53:30 PM

Remember, SSD's have a limited write cycle.

Flash memory :p 
Score
0
August 20, 2012 10:03:47 AM

Well, I already said, I guess it doesn't need to be fully modular, so if I find a great power supply for a great price, whether it's fully modular or not won't be a deal breaker.

I would just appreciate your suggestions on how many watts to go with.
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 10:40:02 AM

h2l said:
Well I have the i5-2500k and a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5h, which I definitely want to overclock and play around with. I haven't decided what GPU's I will be going with yet, but it will definitely be a dual or tri SLI/Crossfire setup. 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz memory. A junky CD/DVD burner, and for now, just my 250GB Barracuda HDD. I'm considering moving up to a SSD, but I like to format a lot and I hear you destroy SSD's when you format them. I plan on running a liquid cooling setup as well when I start to get deeper in to overclocking.

Is that enough information?


h2l said:
Well, I already said, I guess it doesn't need to be fully modular, so if I find a great power supply for a great price, whether it's fully modular or not won't be a deal breaker.

I would just appreciate your suggestions on how many watts to go with.


Quote:
but it will definitely be a dual or tri SLI/Crossfire setup.


^ That makes a major power supply selection difference especially depending on what graphics cards you intend running in 2 way or 3 way SLI or Crossfire and the load they draw!

2 way SLI/Crossfire with single GPU core 1000W range
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139034
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207021

3 way SLI/Crossfire with single GPU core 1250W or +
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194092

You can always go bigger! (Just make sure you're on a 15a home breaker circuit)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194106
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817494006
Score
0
August 20, 2012 10:50:22 AM

Thanks for the recommendations dude!

I think I was on something when I thought of doing a tri SLI/Crossfire because that's just too expensive for my tastes. Most likely, it will stay at a dual SLI, I think that's more then enough.

Anyways, I was looking at this power supply that's recommended in the power supply section:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, is it possible to just go a bit lower in wattage? Like an 850W, since I won't be doing a tri-SLI? I see some people around here that have their i5's overclocked pretty damn high and they are running 850W PSU's WITH dual SLI's. I'm wondering if 1000W is really necessary?
Score
0

Best solution

a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 11:26:34 AM

h2l said:
Thanks for the recommendations dude!

I think I was on something when I thought of doing a tri SLI/Crossfire because that's just too expensive for my tastes. Most likely, it will stay at a dual SLI, I think that's more then enough.

Anyways, I was looking at this power supply that's recommended in the power supply section:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, is it possible to just go a bit lower in wattage? Like an 850W, since I won't be doing a tri-SLI? I see some people around here that have their i5's overclocked pretty damn high and they are running 850W PSU's WITH dual SLI's. I'm wondering if 1000W is really necessary?


I would imagine PC Power & Cooling is making OCZs power supplies, since OCZ owns PCP&C now so that P/S will be sufficient.

I recommended 1000W to keep you way on the safe side of things, of course you can go lower wattage wise and possibly limit yourself later, it's your choice!
Share
August 20, 2012 1:12:43 PM

Alright, I think I'll go with the 1000w if that's what's recommended.

Thanks!
Score
0
August 20, 2012 1:12:51 PM

Best answer selected by h2l.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 5:02:49 PM

PC Power & cooling does not make PSUs. The OCZ ZX series PSUs are made by Great Wall, and got good reviews.

Since I read the whole thread, I will make a few comments :) 

A fully modular PSU is handy for two reasons. Firstly, any failure of the connectors can be remedied by replacing the cable. If you had ever had to RMA a PSU because the 24-pin connector wore out you would know.
Secondly, fully modular PSUs can be sleeved to hide or color coordinate the cables.

An 850W PSU will handle SLI or crossfire for any two modern single GPU video cards. The only modern video cards that would be too much are obviously way out of the OPs budget. In fact, you could run 7970 CF or GTX 680 SLI with a 750W PSU... but you would not have much margin and might not have all the connectors you need.

Given the good price and superior support of Corsair I think I would go with the AX850 (made by Seasonic)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 6:02:00 PM

Proximon said:
PC Power & cooling does not make PSUs.


http://www.pcpower.com/index.html

That's definitely different information than what they claim at their website?

Quote:
For over 25 Years, PC Power & Cooling has been at the forefront of the high-performance computer power supply industry. We have produced many innovations along the way: the first CPU cooler, the first PC heat alarm, the first independently-regulated PC power supply, the first redundant power system, the first NVIDIA SLI Certified supply, the first 1000W computer power supply and the first - and still only company - to offer an individual certified test report with each power supply sold. We produce the world's premier high-performance computer power supplies, all expertly engineered in San Diego, California.


Quote:
On April 19,1985, PC Power & Cooling began operations in a small warehouse just outside of San Diego, CA. Founded by Doug Dodson, a commodity trader and electronic hobbyist, the company's first products were custom fans to cool and quiet computers.

In 1986, the company introduced its Silencer 150 and Turbo-Cool 200, the industry's first ultra-quiet and high-performance power supplies. Other high-end products followed, the reviews were great, and the company continued to grow. In 1991, the company moved to its current facility in San Diego, CA.

Over the last 25 years, PC Power & Cooling has produced many innovative products including: the first CPU cooler, the first PC heat alarm, the first independently-regulated PC power supply, the first redundant power system, the first NVIDIA-certified SLI supply, the first One Kilowatt computer power supply, and the first power supply with its own certified test report (Turbo-Cool 1KW).

PC Power & Cooling takes pride in its loyal and knowledgeable customer base, its ultra-reliable product line, its professional and friendly staff, and its financial strength.


Usually a we produce claim means they make the product, so who actually makes PC Power and Cooling power supplies?

Please provide some kind of links to back your claim.
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 6:26:31 PM

@proximon

Your statement was such a shock to me regarding PC Power and Cooling not making their power supplies, I called them direct and talked to a company representative and your statement is false.

I don't know where you got your information from, but I wouldn't keep saying it if I were you!
Score
0
August 20, 2012 6:42:31 PM

4Ryan6 said:
@proximon

Your statement was such a shock to me regarding PC Power and Cooling not making their power supplies, I called them direct and talked to a company representative and your statement is false.

I don't know where you got your information from, but I wouldn't keep saying it if I were you!


Since the OCZ buyout, PCP&C order PSUs from an OEM just like everyone else who doesn't make their own PSUs (like Antec, XFX, Corsair, Rosewill, Silverstone, OCZ, CoolerMaster, etc). You can call whoever you want at PCP&C; professional reviews have already proven this to be the case. Maybe you should visit jonnyguru, HardwareSecrets, HardOCP, or any website that does PSU teardowns before going off the handle about something you clearly don't know about.
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 6:52:03 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Since the OCZ buyout, PCP&C order PSUs from an OEM just like everyone else who doesn't make their own PSUs (like Antec, XFX, Corsair, Rosewill, Silverstone, OCZ, CoolerMaster, etc). You can call whoever you want at PCP&C; professional reviews have already proven this to be the case. Maybe you should visit jonnyguru, HardwareSecrets, HardOCP, or any website that does PSU teardowns before going off the handle about something you clearly don't know about.


Provide some links to back your claims!

I'm satisfied with my discoveries.
Score
0
a c 225 K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 7:23:04 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Does Google not work for you or something?


ROFLMAO :lol: 

Quote:
I see no reason for beating up on PC Power & Cooling for going with the SS-600ET as a base. I just wish they would have done more than take one, make it semi-modular and paint it white. Upgrade that fan to a 135mm or 140mm fan so it's a little quieter at full load. And, like I said, fix one of the SATA cables. You know 99.9% of the people using this power supply probably have all SATA hard drives and probably even a SATA optical. Just give me one more peripheral power connector for my case fans, water pump, fan controller, CCFL... whatever I may have that uses the good ol' "Molex" power connector.


There's nothing worse than someone that picks out something they want to harp on and don't read the entire review!

ROFLMAO :lol: 

Case closed!
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:25:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Arthurh
Score
0
!