Final Advice before buying

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I know I've posted ALOT of questions (especially in this forum) but I am just wanting to confirm everything and make sure its the right configuration before I buy, so bear with me.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: THIS WEEK!!!

BUDGET RANGE: $2000-2300 AUD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, University stuff (Architecture Course), Office, Internet Browsing, Movies.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: NEED EVERYTHING

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

PARTS:
Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU
Asus P6T LGA1366 X58 6DDR3 FSB1600(OC) RAID GBLAN 3xPCIE2.0 ATX
Geil 6G(3x2G) DDR3 1600 PC12800 CL7
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M
Sapphire HD5850 1G GDDR5 PCIE 2D HDMI
Antec Nine Hundred Two Tower Gaming Case w Side Window black (no PSU)
Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply, 140mm Fan
LiteON IHAS324 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail
LG W2353V-PF Gloss Blk 2ms VGA DVI-D HDMI Tilt
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 OEM
D-Link DWA-547 RAngeBooster N650 Wireless LAN PCI Adapter
Logitech Deluxe 250 Desktop USB
Logitech X-140 2.0 Speaker

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Any improvements? Suggestions? Any views on Anti-Virus Software?

Solution
The Antec 902 is fairly expensive for what you get. It's still a good case, but expensive to others that are just as good. Did you look at the HAF 922? If the dust filters are really important, you can generally buy some separately.

Is the Asus P6X58D Premium available? It has USB 3.0/SATA 6 GBps ports, so it's more future proof. It's generally a bit more expensive though.

I don't see an OS. Being a student, you should be able to get it for real cheap.

Other than those little things, it looks good.
The Antec 902 is fairly expensive for what you get. It's still a good case, but expensive to others that are just as good. Did you look at the HAF 922? If the dust filters are really important, you can generally buy some separately.

Is the Asus P6X58D Premium available? It has USB 3.0/SATA 6 GBps ports, so it's more future proof. It's generally a bit more expensive though.

I don't see an OS. Being a student, you should be able to get it for real cheap.

Other than those little things, it looks good.

Solution

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
First question to MadAdmiral-ARE dust filters important? Where I'm buying from the 902 is $1 more than the 922 without a side window. I would have chosen the P6X58D Premium, but Umart doesn't stock it, so it came down between the P6T and the P6T Deluxe V2 (which wasn't in stock :( ). I did pick up on the Windows 7 bargain, got the install file ready to go (also gettting a disk, for backup purposes in case PC crashes.) Is the Geil ram ok, seemed to be a bargain at the price it was at, imo.

The importance of dust filters depends. If you live somewhere dusty or infested with pet hair, it's more important. That said, here in the US, the HAF is usually at least $20 cheaper. Since there isn't really a difference, either is good.

If it's not there, your choice is fine.

Geil should be good.