Win7 x64 only recognizing 3.5gb of my 4gb RAM

logoman

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Yes, I am running Win7 x64 and
have a MSI 890gxm-g65 mobo with integrated radeon 4290 video card

Bios and win7 recognizes all 4gb, but win7 states only 3.5gb usable

how do I know if my integrated radeon 4290 is truly using that extra 512mb? (in my bios it's video share is set to AUTO) ?

Solution
You have nothing to worry about. Your system has assigned 512MB of memory to your on-board GPU (as a result of the auto setting). Since it is reserved for the GPU, it is not available to Win7 for other uses.

If you are going to continue to use your on-board GPU, you can change the amount of memory assigned in the BIOS, but you really don't need to. 512MB is a good size for most applications.

If you ever install a discrete, stand-alone GPU, the on-board GPU will be disabled and the memory will be available to the operating system.

Bottom line, you are good to go with nothing to worry about. Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You have nothing to worry about. Your system has assigned 512MB of memory to your on-board GPU (as a result of the auto setting). Since it is reserved for the GPU, it is not available to Win7 for other uses.

If you are going to continue to use your on-board GPU, you can change the amount of memory assigned in the BIOS, but you really don't need to. 512MB is a good size for most applications.

If you ever install a discrete, stand-alone GPU, the on-board GPU will be disabled and the memory will be available to the operating system.

Bottom line, you are good to go with nothing to worry about. Good luck!

Solution