Sign in with
Your question

Will I see much improvement 3870 to 5770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2010 5:49:47 PM

I know I'm running a old rig:

AMD FX-60
2 Gigs Ram
MSI MB
ATI 3870 Vid Card.

How much of an improvement would I see if I droppen a 5770 vid card in for $160 beans?

I'm building a whole new rig this year soon as USB 3.0 rears it's ugly head.

Worf

More about : improvement 3870 5770

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 5:53:54 PM

Meh, I would say that you should see an increase in frames but nothing to get exited about. Before You upgrade the GPU you should upgrade the mobo/CPU and ram if you want to see a real jump in performance.. You can do all 3 for less than 220.00$
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 7:09:06 PM

Quote:
not enough no. Buy an HD 4870 if you want some improvment.

The 5770 is superior to the 4870......
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 7:22:53 PM

Quote:
No NO and NOOOO!!! The HD 4870 is far better. Ok not far, slightly better. But better. 256bit bus VS 128bit. GDDR5 vs GDDR5. And HD 4870 is far more overclockable.

Well even though they are on par in most games the 4870 uses more power, it is old tech, does not support DX 11 and runs alot warmer than the 4870. At this point in time it would be ubsurd to buy a 4870 over a 5770 regardless of the benchmarks. The only reason the 4870 is close to the 5770 is due to the crappy drivers that AMD has at the moment. With more mature drivers the 5770 will olbiterate the 4870.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 8:04:36 PM

Quote:
Nah doubt that. And there is no DX 11 superiority here mate. HD 5770 just cant handle some eye candy. And thats what DX 11 is about. THat it looks better than DX 10 and when a DX 11 cant handle those extra high settings. Why bother buying it?

Sir, you have no idea of what you are talking about. When I say DX11 I mean the card is 10 times more future-proof than any last-gen GPU. It is not all about the eye-candy. If we are talking RAW speed then both cards are heel to heel but that is only due to the current drivers AMD has for the 5 series. If we were talking about the 4770 vs. the 4870 then THAT would be another story since in this case the 128bit is by far inferior to the 256bit. But when it comes to the 5 series it is a whole different ballgame.

BTW the when I say that the 4870 is on par with the 5770 I am talking about the 1GB version, the 512mb version does not stand a chance vs. the 5770.

Here you can see that they are equal with eye-candy enabled :

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-tes...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-tes...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 8:10:36 PM

Quote:
You guys think speed is everything lmao... The memmory bus is very important. That was the magic trick nvidia used to win last gen GPU war. ATI had sky high clocks but only 128/256 bit. Nvidia has 448/512 and 896 bit. Which makes a huge diffrence. With a low memmory bus the card cant use its own VRAM. Well not all of it.

Let's assume ATI & nVidia have the same bus other than width, the 512 bit bus is twice as wide as the 256 bit.
So nVidia has a 2x advantage.
GDDR5 is quad-pumped (base clock * 4), GDDR3 is double-pumped (base clock * 4)
4 = 2 * 2, ATI has a 2x advantage.

The advantages cancel out if the base clocks are the same & the bus is the same, however a smaller chip + GDDR5 is cheaper than a huge chip + GDDR3.
ATI wins profit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 8:19:50 PM

Quote:
Well yeah you are right ;)  And btw, there is no diffrence between 512 mb verision and 1GB. well almost none. It does not realy matter.

Well since you mentioned "eye candy" there actually is a difference. The 1Gb will not suffer at higher resolutions vs. the 512mb. Don't get me wrong here the 4870 is a great card, it just that it's days are counted since the 5 series launched.. And the fact that it is hard to get a 4870 at a reasonable price. ATM they are almost running at the same pricerange as the 4890's... So that makes it even worse ;) 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 8:36:07 PM

If i was given the option of a 4870 or a 5770 today i would get a 4870.
Why ?
Well a 4870 has proven performance within its own segment ie DX10.1. The bus does make a differance regardless of what the pumping is Quad or otherwise. Its compensating, nothing more.
A 5770 while definatly more forward looking isnt proven by any means to be able to perform in its own segment ie DX11, as we have no serious DX11 games available to test them with yet and personally i would rather get a GPU that i know can do what its meant to do rather than get a newer GPU that for all i know may fall flat on its face when given some serious DX11 functions to perform.
Thats why i havent upgraded yet and why i probably wont even bother with this gen.

Mactronix
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 8:43:59 PM

mactronix said:
If i was given the option of a 4870 or a 5770 today i would get a 4870.
Why ?
Well a 4870 has proven performance within its own segment ie DX10.1. The bus does make a differance regardless of what the pumping is Quad or otherwise. Its compensating, nothing more.
A 5770 while definatly more forward looking isnt proven by any means to be able to perform in its own segment ie DX11, as we have no serious DX11 games available to test them with yet and personally i would rather get a GPU that i know can do what its meant to do rather than get a newer GPU that for all i know may fall flat on its face when given some serious DX11 functions to perform.
Thats why i havent upgraded yet and why i probably wont even bother with this gen.

Mactronix

How will the 5770 fall flat on it's face if the benchies show that both GPU's perform about the same? I am not giving the 5770 kudos over the 4870 just cause of the DX11 factor (I can care less about the DX11 alone), there are more than 5 reasons why the 5770 is a better card. I guess everyone has thier own opinions ;) 

m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 9:16:56 PM

As i said there is no guarantee that the card wont drop frames like a leaky bucket when asked to run a decent DX11 based game. Heck it might pick some up for all i know. Its untried and tested in the real world at anything above DX10.1 is my point here. As such its a risk you are taking if you are buying with future DX11 titles in mind.
Will that matter in the life time of the card ? I don't know, the AVP game is supposed to be a decent DX11 test so we will have to wait and see i guess.
As far as the reasons the 5770 is better you are right it ssubjective, i have no actual issues with teh card and have recomended it countless times to others, it just offers me personally nothing at all over the 4870 that i care about.

Mactronix
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 11:40:20 PM

mactronix said:
As i said there is no guarantee that the card wont drop frames like a leaky bucket when asked to run a decent DX11 based game. Heck it might pick some up for all i know. Its untried and tested in the real world at anything above DX10.1 is my point here. As such its a risk you are taking if you are buying with future DX11 titles in mind.
Will that matter in the life time of the card ? I don't know, the AVP game is supposed to be a decent DX11 test so we will have to wait and see i guess.
As far as the reasons the 5770 is better you are right it ssubjective, i have no actual issues with teh card and have recomended it countless times to others, it just offers me personally nothing at all over the 4870 that i care about.

Mactronix

Agreed ;) 

m
l
January 8, 2010 12:32:20 PM

Thanks for the information and opinions folks. I was just looking for a cheap, minimally invasive upgrade to fiddle with till USB 3.0 comes out and I build a new rig. Didn't mean to cause a "ruckus", but did like watching the debate. Thanks again...

Worf
m
l
!