Hard drive blue scrren of death, Need advice

icee1189

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hey guys, I recently experienced a blue screen of death with the message "hard drive failure" while I was watching a movie on my computer and need some advice. The blue screen came out of no where and my computer was not under any major stress. I had this Western Digital Cavier Black 1 TB hard drive for only about 3 months and worked fine since then. After the blue screen, I restart the pc from the reboot button on my case. The PC booting up as normal, but with some delay. Luckly, I did not lose any data, but my PC performance has dramatically dropped. It currently does not run as fast as it used to and has delays when I am switching web pages. Any advice on how to go about on this situation (any software I should run to test the situation)?

My specs:
Case: Corsair 600T
PSU: OCZ ZX 1000 W
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel i7 2600K (i did not OC yet)
Hard drive: Western Digital Cavier Black 1 TB
Memory: Corsair vengeance 8 GB (ddr3 1600)

icee1189

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded and ran the tests. According to the software, my hard drive is in working condition. But my PC isn't performing like it did before the blue screen and has been making the strange clicking noise (sound similar to someone connecting to a dial up). Any more suggestion? Should I reformat?

icee1189

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I ran chkdsk and used my antivirus. My antivirus showed no sign of me having a virus and chkdsk showed my hard drive is running fine. I just don't seem to understand what's going on with the hard drive. After restarting my system a couple of times, the performance slowly picked up a little. Any other suggestions, I can't seem to find anyone that experienced a similar problem to mine?