Wierd reaction after power cut

Soul_analyzer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I have a PC and 3 days ago there was a power cut. I have a UPS the Cyberpower 850V. After the power cut the PC wasn't working. When I pushed the start button PC started for 3 seconds closed for 3 seconeds and started again by itself. I could hear the windows starting but nothing on the screen. So I closed PC by pressing the close PC button on my keyboard , hopefully there is one on the keyboard. I unplugged everything waited for 30 minutes pluged them back and PC was working Ok. For 2 days Pc was working just fine until yesterday we had another Power cut. I did the same but nothing is happening. Pc is still not working. I can hear the windows booting and the starting sound but nothing on screen. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Is it the monitor or the graphic card or the Power suply?

Case: Thermaltake Armor Jr
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
Cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz
Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Motherboard: Asus P5Q3
Ram: Corsair TR3X3G1600C8 DHX 3x1Gb DDR3
Gpu: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Hard Disk: W.D Velociraptor 300Gb
Optical drivers : 2 x DVD-RW Samsung SH-S223F
Front Panel : Aerocool Coolpanel 2 Black
Monitor : LG 1919S 19"
UPS : CyberPower BR850ELCD 850V http://www.cyberpower-eu.com/products/ups_systems/brics_lcd/br850elcd.htm

I'm assuming the starting sound is the little audio cue that Windows has opened. If the computer is starting up, I'd say it's the monitor. I'm assuming you don't have a spare laying around. Is there any way you can make it do anything without being able to see, like a start menu task that makes noise (I'm thinking a media player)? If it works, it's definitely a monitor problem.

Soul_analyzer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Well first I thought it would be the monitor but I remembered my old Pc was working ok ( Pentium 4) and tried that one just to see if the monitor is dead but it worked just fine. After I tried my new pc again and that worked too .. so for now everything ok ... but that's wierd cause every time there is a power cut I always have the same problem.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
I would try reseating the graphics card and whatnot. Though needing to reseat everything is odd.

It might be that the UPS battery is getting old and it needs to charge up first or something.

Soul_analyzer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Well I am having the same problem again and again even though there isn't any power cut. PC oneday works fine and the other day I need to restart it 7-8 times (maybe more maybe less) to see it opening ... everytime I hear the windows starting but nothing on the screen. But once it's open if I do restart its works just fine. I am assuming it's the Power Supply ( man I paid a fortune for it) but I am not sure. It would be very disaponting for me to buy a new one and the same problem again... Need a solution desperately! Pls help ... and thanks for listening

I doubt it's the PSU. A bad PSU typically makes things much more cataclysmic than just starting up with no picture. It's likely that if it were the PSU, it wouldn't make it into Windows.

Did you try reinstalling the graphics card like False_Dmitry suggested? Are you aboslutely sure it's not the monitor? Try using the other one for a few days and see if the problem disappears.

You could also try downloading new drivers for the video card. Or if you've got the newest ones, roll back to an older version.