Sign in with
Your question

Removed RAID volume issues (Hard Drive Names)

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2012 7:03:57 PM

I recently had to delete an old RAID mirror volume off of a computer due to a failure in the hardware controller. Upon doing so I was able to boot into windows from either of the drives. They both work. The only issue is when I put them both into the computer to create a new RAID volume through windows I get the "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" window.
I have a feel this is because both of the HDD's show up as the same name in BIOS. Is there a way around this (Changing their names?). I tried to plug one in once in windows and see if I could discover it through device manager but that was a no go. Any suggestions? Thanks.
January 3, 2012 7:47:31 PM

OK Fixed it, I just had to disable the RAID controller. They are also named different ly as well (One has a PM, the other an SM). But I have a different problem. When trying to boot all I get is a little underline blinking rapidly in the upper left corner of the screen. I can have one drive plugged in or both, not matter what this is what I get. Any suggestions now?
m
l
!