Sign in with
Your question

Won't boot after new graphics card swapout

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2010 9:31:55 PM

Hi - can anyone help ?

Having recently upgraded my graphics card from a factory overclocked XFX 8800GTX to a factory overclocked XFX HD5850 Black Edition, my PC consistently hangs during boot whilst loading the Vista core drivers, immediately after loading crcdisk.sys and presents me with a black screen and no mouse pointer.

Per normal prudence, the original card was uninstalled (including Nvidia driver removal) via Control Panel, prior to fitting the replacement card in the vacated PCIE 2.0 x16 slot

Booting from the Vista install CD and running the memcheck and startup repair options did not help as no issues were reported - neither did restoring to last known good configuration and so far I have balked at attempting a complete re-install of Vista which is a last resort

The card is obviously working for displaying the bootup messages and the Vista install splash screens and the PC otherwise shows normal startup signs based on WiFi and HDD activity

Nothing appears to be amiss in the mobo BIOS and the problem also prevents a minimal safe mode boot !

According to the AMD system requirements for my new card, my PC is compliant and according to my mobo manufacturer my chipset drivers and BIOS are up to date with no known issues regarding PCIE graphics card support

Fearing a boot disk CRC error, I replaced the original graphics card and the system came up perfectly happy (albeit at basic pre-install VGA settings this time) so I'm ruling out a boot disk issue

Have tried different monitor combinations in turn (DVI-D , HDMI) , reduced RAM fit , removed all other PCI devices, restored BIOS to factory defaults etc, etc all to no avail

PC was running flawlessley for last two years since last graphics update

Home built PC specs :-

Mobo : ASUS P5E64W Professional
RAM : 4 GB Corsair Dominator 1333 MHz DDR3
CPU : Intel Quad Core LGA 775 Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz
HDD : Samsung Spinpoint 500 GB SATA II
O/S : Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 + all current hotfixes as of Dec'09 :cry: 

Any advice greatly appreciated

Gizmolmcc UK
a c 1372 U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 9:55:56 PM

All I can think of is driver conflict after uninstalling the old gpu in device manager use driver sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28... to clean out all remnants of you nvidia drivers. Check as well if Physx drivers are installed they might be creating a conflict with your ATI card since they are nvidia. Then shut down and install your new card
January 7, 2010 10:13:43 PM

rolli is right, it seems like your Nvidia drivers are in conflicts with your new ATI card.

Try to boot Vista in safe mode without the video drivers. Uninstall your Nvidia and ATI drivers, restart, enter in safe mode again and use driver sweeper. After that, try to enter Vista and install your 5850 drivers.
January 11, 2010 6:44:27 PM

rolli59 said:
All I can think of is driver conflict after uninstalling the old gpu in device manager use driver sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28... to clean out all remnants of you nvidia drivers. Check as well if Physx drivers are installed they might be creating a conflict with your ATI card since they are nvidia. Then shut down and install your new card

Thanks folks - been offline recently

Tried absolutely EVERYTHING but to no avail so in the end decided to re-install Windows and just to make life interesting, while I was at it took the opportunity to migrate to Win 7 HP !

Aside from the protracted pain of restoring everything to working order, I now have a working computer again with the new graphics card running smoothly and have re-boot stressed it and soak run tested it over 72 hrs so far without any issues

Guess cause I wimped out in the end no useful info was gleaned for the community as to the root cause for sure but thanks again for trying to help

Gizmolmcc :) 
!