Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 19, 2012 5:41:04 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB GPU in my current build. In Catalyst Control Center, it looks like I can tweak the clock speeds and such (I've never Overclocked anything before). Forgive my ignorance, but is overclocking my GPU as simple and easy as increasing the sliders in Catalyst Control Center? Also, does anybody have any experience on what a stable overclock would be for this particular GPU? Any insight and help will me much appreciated as always.

Thanks!!

Best solution

August 19, 2012 12:05:40 PM

You should search the web a little bit on how to overclock and what program you could use(as far as benchmarking, and as far as doing the actual OC, for example you have ASUS GPU tool, catalyst, MSI's afterburner and at least 5 more softwares that you could use to overclock, choosing the software would depend on your actual gfx card chip quality and cooling, and the actual numbers you want to reach)
Generally speaking yes, it is as easy as increasing the sliders in the catalyst.

I would recommend going up 50-60 MHZ up at a time, then do a benchmark/test the card for a while to see if it's steady and then up it 50-60 MHZ more, that's the method i've always used and it works fine.

If you can't do a stable OC with more than 100MHZ increase just go back to the default clocks, since the difference won't be that great anyways.

The problems occur once you are stock with a low OC, need to adjust voltages, maybe re-installing the drivers or physically remove then add the card back to the system, I am no expert but you have experts writing about it all over the web as I mentioned at the start of this message

good luck
August 19, 2012 1:16:22 PM

amd 7850 is an overclock beast.overclock it upto 1GHz,dont go beyond that.i have the gigabyte version of amd 7850 and i used AMD overdrive to overclock it to 1GHz(1000 MHz)
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2012 1:39:36 PM

shuvamgamer said:
amd 7850 is an overclock beast.overclock it upto 1GHz,dont go beyond that.i have the gigabyte version of amd 7850 and i used AMD overdrive to overclock it to 1GHz(1000 MHz)

My Gigabyte HD 7850 came overclocked, here are the specs -

GPU Clock Settings - 975 MHz (Max setting is 1050 MHz in Catalyst Control Center)

GPU Memory Clock Settings - 1200 MHz (Max setting is 1450 MHz in Catalyst Control Center)

Fan Speed is at 50% (Max is 100%)

Power Control is at 0% (Max is 20%)

Is your GPU different than mine? My temps are very good, idle it's around 30C, and the highest i've seen it go is about 50% (I run Starcraft 2 at Ultra Settings, and Battlefield 3 at Ultra Settings).
m
l
August 24, 2012 12:45:15 PM

Best answer selected by mixolydian.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:21:02 PM

Hey, I have almost an identical system setup as you. same gpu same cpu, I have recently just built it.
However BF3 keeps crashing. it freezes the whole system and all i can do is reset. its makes a bizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz type noise aswell. like a 10 split second sound loop. Iv been in catalyst control centre and iv had bf3 quite stable when i underclock my gpu to around 900 as opposed to 975 which like yours is the default. Temperatures are fine. im not sure why this is happening?
could it be a faulty card or does it sound like something else is the problem? its also crashed in the witcher2 and sleeping dogs.

my specs are

120GB OCZ Solid 3 SSD, 2.5" SATA 6G
MSI Z77A-G43, Intel Z77, S 1155, DD
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Blue,
2GB Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 Overclocked
XClio Touch 320 Full Black Mid Tower
500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda
Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge
600W Corsair Gaming Series GS600,

Mixolydian said:
My Gigabyte HD 7850 came overclocked, here are the specs -

GPU Clock Settings - 975 MHz (Max setting is 1050 MHz in Catalyst Control Center)

GPU Memory Clock Settings - 1200 MHz (Max setting is 1450 MHz in Catalyst Control Center)

Fan Speed is at 50% (Max is 100%)

Power Control is at 0% (Max is 20%)

Is your GPU different than mine? My temps are very good, idle it's around 30C, and the highest i've seen it go is about 50% (I run Starcraft 2 at Ultra Settings, and Battlefield 3 at Ultra Settings).

m
l
!