Software overclocking?

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
How does Software Overclocking work? I have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 with i7 3770K, so I would use TurboV EVO. I've heard that it isn't recommended? But why? Or is it perfectly usable these days?

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
It is not recommended because you can get a better overclocking manually. For a small overclock a software can be used with no problems but the more you push it the worse it gets mainly due to voltages (softwares tend to go a bit over the top on voltages).
It is also more satisfying doing it manually

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I have a guide in my language, which will be very helpfull. Because I can't find a reasonable guide with BIOS overclocking in my language, I want to know if it's smart to do it this way.

The guide does let me adjust some settings in BIOS, such as voltage. But lets me do the multiplier in the software.

If I follow this guide. Will I have any problems? Because if I set it in the software, will it update it to the BIOS? or will I be screwed when I crash during start-ups? Will it be recoverable if I can't reach the software anymore because of a bad overclock?

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Seeing as you are here your knowledge of english will be enough to read the basic guides on overclocking. English isn't my native language either and I had no problems.

Anyway if the guide uses the BIOS to set voltages then you might as well use the BIOS for everything else and do a proper manual overclock. Still you can use software if you're not very confident. If there is a crash on start up the motherboard will use the last stable configurations so no problem there.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Ok, thanks for the information. I think I'm going to use BIOS overclocking anyway, since I only have to set multipliers in that software, which of course can also be set in BIOS. Don't need anything more I guess. I'm not planning on changing the BCLK like they also suggested.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I read the Google translation of the article in Dutch.

They mentioned temps in the 90 C range, I believe. Seems drastically high. My computer shuts down at 72 C.

You might want to get some corroboration on that (assuming I correctly understood the translation).

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
eXistenZ that varies from component to component. My old Celeron could hit 80C and not shut down and it's the same with my current G620. And even if the CPU is the same you can never know for sure before trying. Every component is different even if it the same brand and model

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure they can last till 90C or higher, But I wasn't planning to hit over 80 C anyway.. Besides.. I have Corsair H100, that should cool it enough

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Temps in article refer to Intel 3 series, IIRC. Whatever.

I think the problem with / complaint of Turbo EVO is the AutoTuning feature. That is what gives excessive voltage and so forth.

I believe the Manual Mode is just fine (general consensus), because you can set CPU Ratio and appropriate CPU Voltage.

Does anyone know if you can turn off Speedstep through software? I want to be able to set the CPU at 4.4 and keep it there while I test the system (bouncing back forth from 1600 may give misleading readings). Also you can get away with lower voltage if not back and forth (true ??).