Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which mobo-- asus rampage II extreme or rampage III extreme?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2010 2:25:13 PM

hi there,

just want to ask your help guys if what i'm gonna choose for my mobo..will i choose asus rampage II extreme or rampage III extreme? which of the two is compatible with windows 7 ultimate and has a stable bios?

tamimoy
August 9, 2010 3:58:37 PM

arzoie_sonic said:
hi there,

just want to ask your help guys if what i'm gonna choose for my mobo..will i choose asus rampage II extreme or rampage III extreme? which of the two is compatible with windows 7 ultimate and has a stable bios?

tamimoy

Here are a couple reviews done by the same people...

Rampage 3
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/rampage_3_extre...

Rampage 2
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/rampage_ii_extr...

If you're buying from Newegg (or I would assume anywhere else) I would go with the Rampage 3, you're already spending 350$ + on a Mobo, might as well spend the 20$ extra for the SATA III and USB3.0. Not to mention you can fit 3 GPU's at x16 mode onto the Rampage 3 if you really want to. Not to mention, IMO, the 3 looks a tad bit more awesome. Although, the packaging alone on both Mobo's would sell me. I would be very careful opening everything, the put the packaging back together exactly as it came, then hang it from the wall, it looks that good... :D 

Also, are you set on buying one of these 2? If there in your price range, I personally have had really good luck with ASUS Mobo's so I would definitely recommend them. It could be worth looking into other options though, however how can you resist that sweet red packaging?! Maybe even take a high quality picture of your mobo, print it out and put a picture back in the case just for effect.
m
l
August 9, 2010 9:11:50 PM

tnx bro for the links...

that was cool..yah i think i will go with the rampage III... :D 

regarding with my power supply, im confused of what to choose...i'll be using an EVGA GTX 480 SC video card...i have two choices in my mind with my power supply...
* Silverstone strider ST 1200 ATX modular 1200 watts
* Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000-watt power supply-ATX, 140mm fan, sata ready, SLI ready
which of the 2 power supply will best suit with the rampage III extreme mobo?

m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 11:25:30 PM

I would say, when in doubt go with Corsair, they're a great product. I personally have put one of those into a rig, as well as an Antec 1000W power supply and not really had any problems with either. Here's the link to the Antec PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Assuming you're using the Rampage 3, GTX 480, and <1 Million hard drives, and an i7 cpu any of these PSUs should leave you set. I would go with the Corsair myself. Great company, great PSU, plenty of power. It's not completely modular ala the Silverstone, but (as if it were on purpose... :)  ) the 4 connectors that come out of the Corsair can all be used in your case (24 pin, and 2x8pins on the Mobo, see the bottom of the Closer look:motherboard section of that review, and the 6+2 pin in your GPU) so you won't have any loose cables hangin around, preventing air flow etc. And the Corsair comes with about 2 million extra connectors, so nothing to worry about there.

FWIW, they Overclock that mobo and an i7-930 with a lesser PSU without problems until >4.1 Ghz, so unless you're doing some incredibly extreme OCing you should be set.

m
l
August 10, 2010 10:48:48 AM

tnx again mgrzTX.....

i guess i'll be taking your advice..hehe... :D 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 10, 2010 11:48:09 AM

er..... are you actually going to make use of the overclocking/features this board will offer?

Just a mainstream board will literally cost half and work just as well if your not an extreme overclocker etc - extreme high end board DOES NOT equal extreme high end performance
m
l

Best solution

August 10, 2010 4:31:19 PM

Quote:
er..... are you actually going to make use of the overclocking/features this board will offer?

Just a mainstream board will literally cost half and work just as well if your not an extreme overclocker etc - extreme high end board DOES NOT equal extreme high end performance

Yea, but does that packaging look that awesome?!?!

Seriously though, this is very true. I just assumed that since you were looking at those two boards, that:

a) their in your budget range...and
b) you will be using (or intend to learn how to use) the sweet features both boards come with.

If your planning on just plugging in your components, booting, and prefer to never enter BIOS or anything like that, then a cheaper board will do just fine. But if you plan on OCing, or are enthusiastic about learning to OC, and it's in your budget, then hey, why not go for it?

(Or is the packaging really speaks to you!)
August 22, 2010 4:00:23 PM

Best answer selected by arzoie_sonic.
m
l
!