Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Help picking Motherboard and Memory w/my CPU / Video Card

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2010 3:37:18 PM

I'm building a new PC and so far I want to get the following components:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I just need a motherboard / fastest memory to go along with them. I prefer ASUS when it comes to motherboards. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I don't plan on doing SLI and I don't want a motherboard w/onboard video.

Thanks,
-jv

More about : picking motherboard memory cpu video card

August 9, 2010 3:45:50 PM

After doing some research it looks as though this is all I need correct?

MSI 790X-G45 AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

I can also get some 1066 memory w/that?
m
l
August 9, 2010 4:21:59 PM

jvmongoose said:
I'm building a new PC and so far I want to get the following components:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I just need a motherboard / fastest memory to go along with them. I prefer ASUS when it comes to motherboards. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I don't plan on doing SLI and I don't want a motherboard w/onboard video.

Thanks,
-jv

What's your price range? Looking at around what the MSI Mobo costs there's a few options

Here's an ASUS Mobo, a little more $$$$, but SATA 3 and USB 3.0. Gets pretty good reviews from everything I've read, although if you're planning on eventually getting another 460 in SLI(sweet!!!) it only supports dual x8 mode. Edit: You can get 20$ off of some good OCZ Ram with this Mobo too!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's another ASUS Mobo if you don't have any intention of going the SLI route. Also get's pretty good reviews from what I've read.

Another option, this time from Gigabyte, cheaper than the first ASUS option but still runs SLI at x8 mode (but really, who cares, it's still sweet) Along with the similar USB3.0 and SATA 3 features. Also you can get 20$ off with the Crucial Ram combo deal (linked)

My last recommendation is a cheaper option, not as cool but you get what you pay for. Also if you're looking to stick at 100$ the Mobo you recommended to yourself seems like a good buy too, although it doesn't support as much ram, or faster ram than the one's above.

As far as Ram goes, unless you're considering a package deal, and even if so, I would decide on a Mobo first. Because between all of those Mobo's people might recommend different RAM.

It all comes down to your price range however, any Idea how much your looking to spend on the Mobo/Memory?
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 4:53:28 PM

OK Let me start from the beginning again. Here is the breakdown of what I've determined that I want/need.

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard

Now I'm trying to determine what the fastest memory I could buy is. I'm getting a bit confused w/what it supports. Is it possible to put 2x4GB 1600 DDR3 sticks in there without having to overclock anything?

Thanks,
-jv
m
l
August 9, 2010 5:59:25 PM

Yup, you should be able to stick 2 4Gb sticks of 1600 DDR3 in there w/o overclocking. Make sure to check with the manufacturer websites on compatibility, if 1 says their compatible it should be a safe bet. Checking ASUS' and Newegg there's not much in the way of compatible 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Ram, there are a few other options.

a) Go with 2x4Gb, or 2 1x4gb sticks of 1333, ASUS website lists more options for this.

b) Just buy the best deal you can find on 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Ram and give it a try, and just send it back if you can't get it to work (potentially could occur some shipping costs here, and Memory compatibility problems can get really frustrating, and there's a shot you wind up going with another option anyway). I'd recommend going with something that at least one of the manufacturer websites would say is compatible.

c) Consider 4x2Gb, there's not many "quad channel kits available" but based on the info from ASUS' website there's about a million different 2x2Gb sets you could buy 2 of at 1600.

m
l