custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
ive just built my first pc, but it keeps freezing up on me, i havent got a clue why it is doing this i just hope someone can help.

system specs:

q9450 2.83 ghz quad core
msi p7n platinum mobo
ocz sli 4gb ddr2 800mhz
8800gt 512mb gpu
ocz sli 700w psu
antec 900 case
1 tb hdd
standard intel heatsink
blu ray rom drive

System freezing problems are most commonly caused by either RAM problems or overheating. Which exact RAM kit do you have? Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the specs listed on the sticker on the RAM? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?

What are your idle/load CPU temps?

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
im using ocz high performance sli ddr2 , ive not touched any of the timings/voltages as i am not really sure what im doing with that, with temps when i go into the bios it says that cpu is roughly 35 C.
this is going to sound stupid but a memtest86?? what is that, im totally new to all this building stuff but you ave to start somewhere

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

im using ocz high performance sli ddr2 , ive not touched any of the timings/voltages as i am not really sure what im doing with that, with temps when i go into the bios it says that cpu is roughly 35 C.
this is going to sound stupid but a memtest86?? what is that, im totally new to all this building stuff but you ave to start somewhere, im also running widows 7 64bit

Memtest86+ is a piece of software that tests for RAM errors. You download an ISO image from www.memtest.org and burn it to a CD. You can then boot from the CD and the test starts on its own. You should let it run for multiple hours to fully test the RAM.

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

i ran a program my friend suggested occt to test for stability or what not, and after a couple of minutes it froze up agaian, i had a look at the graphs and it said the cpu was too hot, the cpu was touching 100C, i have no idea why this is i have all 4 fans on max ( bloody loud i must say), i had a look in my bios to see if i can adjust my cpu fan speed but all i found was smart fan, im not sure what that does so i left it disabled

Your heat sink is obviously not installed correctly if your CPU is getting anywhere near 100C. You're going to have to re-install the HSF ASAP before you damage your CPU. Load temps should be more like 60C - 70C at the very highest.

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

i have re installed the heatsink, put some new paste on, check all the connections and that, i also changed the fan speed to 87%, there was a smart fan thing there with temp settings but not sure what that is really used for, anyway abit of good news temp was nowhere near that as it was under max load for the same 2.32mins temp was 68C, but it froze again, this is really baffling i must say

An overnight run of Memtest86+ would be the next thing I'd do. A good majority of system freezes are caused by RAM problems. I would also read up in the motherboard owners manual on how to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage. A lot of motherboards don't give the RAM enough voltage under "Auto" settings which causes stability issues.

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

thanks for all your help, ive managed to sort it out, i installed windows 7 32, instead today, ran memtest, occt, everything was super, thru an hour of occt test temps didnt go past 59C, now all i need to do is find out how to overclock, should be a fun experiance.

thanks again for all your help

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

it was the first time ive ever used the 64 bit version of an os, im not actually sure what benifts you get by running 64bit, and the freezing was a joke, im talking not evenin 3mins on an occt test and it would go, i thought it was a hardware issue, but ive done some research online and there is a good few ppl that have experianced some sort of freezing with the 64bit so i thought try the 32bit and see what happens, ive been plaing COD4 allday and not 1 crash ( as yet)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The primary benefit you get from going with a 64-bit OS is that you can use 4+ GB of memory. 32-bit OSes are limited to a max of 4 GB, and sometimes aren't able to even see all 4 GB.

Since it looks like you've only got 4 GB right now, that's probably not an issue at the moment, but it's the way to go for the future.

custard69

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

cool, cheers for that mate