Sign in with
Your question

Confused about DVI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2010 11:10:18 PM

I would appreciate a bit of help regarding cables, may bit a bit trivial but I'm finding it confusing.

DVI, DVI-I, DVI-I, DVI Dual-link, HDMI ???

At the present I have this graphics card:

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88320gtsoc2e.aspx

and have just got this new monitor:

http://benq.co.uk/products/LCD/index.cfm/product/1098

What sort of cable should I be aiming for, and which will give the best quality?

Much thanks for any assistance.

More about : confused dvi

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 11:15:35 PM

DVI, DVI-I, DVI Dual-link are the same thing, only that Dual-Link is part of DVI.
Look for a DVI cable.
a c 1319 U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 11:17:21 PM

DVI-I cable matches your output and will give the quality that the card can deliver.
Related resources
January 7, 2010 11:37:13 PM

sabot00 said:
DVI, DVI-I, DVI Dual-link are the same thing, only that Dual-Link is part of DVI.
Look for a DVI cable.

Not exactly.
Digital Visual Interface (DVI) is just type of interface and following falls under it:
DVI-D (digital only)
DVI-A (analog only)
DVI-I (digital & analog)

Both DVI-D and DVI-I could be either single link (1920x1200 resolution max) or duallink (2560x1600).

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) could be explained as combination of duallink DVI+D and digital audio interface with high enough bandwith capable of transmitting uncompressed 7.1 audio.

@OP all you need is duallink DVI cable (single link will be enough, but as they cost about same duallink can be used with bigger display later)
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 11:56:46 PM

Yes, as I said, DVI-I & DVI Dual-link is part of the DVI specification.
January 8, 2010 1:57:50 AM

Many thanks, solved
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 3:27:12 AM

sabot00 said:
Yes, as I said, DVI-I & DVI Dual-link is part of the DVI specification.

Yes but you are still confusing the matter because he needs DVI-D cable not DVI-I connectors. DVI-D is not synonomous with DVI dual link. So you are still suggesting the wrong cable.
!