H100 Or High End Air????

quiggy2512

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Currently runnin an i5 2500k at stock with the intention of taking it to at least 4.5, problem is i`ve been running an h60 for about a year now and just over past week temps have started rising from low 30`s idle to 40 idle and from 55 to 65 on full load . I live in scotland so room temps are not an issue as its cold as hell, anyways i`m gonna get rid of the h60 and either go for h100 or a high end air cooler that will fit on the z68-ud5 with 16gb vengeance, i`m not wanting to lose a ram slot either. Case is NZXT phantom air flow is not a problem so i`m not to fussed if i will get better temps on air.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and full water loops are a no go just dont have the time to install etc due to work. cash aint an issue as long as i can get decent temps

Cheers Davie

cbrunnem

Distinguished
id go high end air as you will get the same or better temps then a h100. the only problem might be that you have tall ram unless though are the low profile vengeance ram modules.

Hazle

Distinguished
a slightly cheaper than an H100 high end air cooler would perform close to an H100 itself. have you tried re-applying thermal paste on your H60? if you have and those temps still persist, then it's likely the liquid in the H60 has degraded. going with a H100 would bring about the same result anyway in a year or so.

quiggy2512

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
yeah first thing i done was replaced the TIM, temps are more or less the same. its the high profile vengeance ram so there`s a couple of coolers that deffo wont fit, any opinions on decent air cooling? something that will work with the vengeance and will comfortably get me to 4.5 ghz?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

yeah get low profile memory and a good air cooler.
ones to look into are
phanteks ph-tc14
thermalright silver arrow
noctua nh-d14

quiggy2512

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
yeah its the up keep of the full water loop, i`ve sacked the idea of the H100 and have been eyeing up a few air coolers Thermalright Silver Arrow, and the noctua nh-d14. i rekon i could mod the D14 to accomodate the extra ram. i remember having a freezer 13 pro laying about somewhere think its somewhere in the cheap ass coolers range. anyone know of any modding guides for the D14 ? to allow for the other stick of ram

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
LN2 anyone?
You could try mounting the d14 so that it faces up instead of sideways, but I don't know how wide the fins are so you might lose 2 DIMM slots doing that.
The H80 from corsair is pretty good and priced similarly to the d14 and that would cause less prolems with fitting.

Hehe, if Jock doesn't want the upkeep of water he really wouldn't want LN2 lol
thats more a suicide run cooling solution than an everyday one, imagine having a huge compressor to re-liquify it once it had passed through a block?
doable? probably,
practical? Hell no :p
Moto

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
I'm running at 4.5 with the 212 on pull and my temps rarely get above 70C. I am going to experiment with push pull just for the hell of it but I'm in no hurry. I just love the fact that I don't have to water cool and deal with all that stuff. I don't know about clearance on your board, sorry.

Cheers

212, 212+, or 212 Evo?

quiggy2512

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
let me know how your temps go with the push pull setup, i`m interested to see if it makes much diff. i run push pull on the h60 atm and it made about 5-6 degrees diff. Anyone saw any benchies for the corsair A50 or A70??

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

It was either the plus or the evo. I don't remember. I really don't want to look for the recipt. It was the 30 some-odd dollar one. Why?

The regular 212 doesn't have as much cooling performance as the Plus and Evo have.

regina_49

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
excuse me what does fisher price half to do with watercooling don't sound very intelligent to me :??:

@Regina, Fisherprice is a uk company that makes kids toys such as 'my first vacuum cleaner' my first laptop' and other stuff,
I refer to low quality, often bad performing units like thermaltake, Larkcooler and the like as 'my first watercooling' products that people swiftly move on from, sometimes back to air, but often onto 'real' water loops, hence the tag, Fisherprice watercooling

on a side note, your loop looks kinda shiny, log and post in members gallery when done?
@Op though, don't buy any 'liquid cooler set up' from Thermaltake,Larkcooler or xiang shu in china, Corsairs H series are proven despite a large negative crowd, myself included, I just don't like F.P. water, but if I have to support one, its the H100,
Moto