So many choices but at last....

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Well some of you may have peeked at my last thread titled "first full build" a few even gave me some advice (lots of great advice) and after a lot of research I settled on the following build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156063

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131603

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148041

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146736

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

and because we already have one and we can upgrade later

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130501

Now since we are only running 2 gigs of ram for now and I really wanted to keep this to a $400 budget I was thinking of using windows xp home sp2 from the PC we will be replacing and upgrading to win 7 later. does any one see any problems with all this? is there anything I'm missing?
may be I'm going to the well a bit to often but any more advice would be much appreciated. I'm ordering the parts tomorrow.
thanks

Case/PSU: Newegg has a great combo with an HAF 922 and OCZ StealthXStream 700W for $110 after rebates. This would get you one of the best cases and a great PSU for very little.

RAM: You should get a 2x1 GB kit instead of a 1x2 GB stick. Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR3 1066 CAS Latency 7 is a better set for about the same price.

Optical: Here's a cheaper burner: Samsung SATA DVD burner for $23 (shipped).

GPU: Quick note: that board doesn't support Crossfire. Either get one that does, upgrade the video card, or stick with the one you have.

Mobo: Following that note, I recommend the Asus M4A79XTD EVO. It's in a combo with your CPU for $162.

EDIT: Forgot to talk about the OS.

Using XP shouldn't be a problem IF you have a retail version of it. If you bought your old PC prebuilt, it's an OEM version, and the disc they sent was a backup. OEM versions tie the copy to the motherboard, and only work for one computer. Period. So even if you're only using 1 computer, you still need a new copy.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
If Windows XP Home came pre-loaded on your existing computer it is called an OEM version, which is only licensed for that computer. For instance, many Dell computers link the Windows software to the motherboard BIOS, and therefore the software cannot legally be transferred to another computer and activated.

If you were the original purchaser of the full retail version of Windows XP, then you can transfer it to another computer.

Many people who build their own computers purchase an OEM version of Windows that is licensed for that one machine.

Your build looks fine, but I would switch your power supply with an Antec EA550.

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

All your choices made me drool. and of course I immediately changed all the stuff in my cart to all the stuff you recommended (especially the case ooh sweet!) then as you pointed out YES I do need to buy an OS so in to the cart went the windows 7 home premium retail. Then I looked down at the bottom of the page and remembered the $400 budget I was trying to stick to. This machine is for a high school kids birthday and as much as he has earned it I don't have that kind of scratch. so I think other than a copy of Win 7 64bit OEM I'll keep the cart the way it is. with around $50 in mail in rebates I should be.... well less than $500 anyway and he'll get a pretty good PC for mid range gaming and some expandability (He can pay for that him self).
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure about the Xp from the old pc but I had a hunch and then you confirmed it.

If you do get that case, make sure you a) orient the power supply correctly, and b) be CAREFUL about anything you set near your computer and desk.

The number of threads I've seen saying "Help, I have the HAF 922 case and my power supply is sitting on the bottom and blowing hot air up into the case" ... is exceeded only by the number of threads I've seen saying "Help, I have the HAF 922 case, and I set my drink down on the desk, and I/my friend/my kid/my cat knocked it over, and soda went down through the hole for the top fan, and then there was a pop and my system shut down, and now it won't start up again. Can I save the motherboard?" (answer 90% of the time: NO.)

At any rate, for that reason, I avoid cases with top-venting fans like the plague. You would not BELIEVE how much crap gets spilled and dripped on computers unless you're extra careful the whole time, which most people are not.

Could you? Yeah. Do most people? Not at all.

If I got a case like that, I know I'M not going to be setting myself up at the desk with a Big Gulp or anything. But other people are not so bright, and I won't always be there to stop them, and the bottom line is: No matter whose fault it is, I don't want my machine ruined. To the average person, pretty much anywhere LOOKS like a reasonable place to set a drink where it won't get knocked over, just as pretty much anywhere LOOKS like a place you can set a computer and go "oh well, it'll probably be OK there."

Fact is, in 99% of cases, you don't really need a top fan anyway, and while it's fine if you're careful with it, the risks far outweigh the benefits in most practical situations I've seen. If you can avoid having gravity as an enemy, I say by all means, do so.

Only problem there is the MOBO is DDR2 (most AM3\AM2+ boards will be using the older DDR2 Ram slots ) - so you'll need to also change the Ram to DDR2 instead of DDR3 !!

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Hmm, I didn't notice that. what would you go with the Mobo that takes DDR3 or the tri-processor?

If I were ordering Today for your uses and budget - I would go with a system like this :

system1.jpg

The phenom II X2 550 will perform similar to the triple core (it has level 3 cache that the triple core does not so will outperform it in games) - That PSU is a great deal today (it is a shell shocker special - the Company mainly makes server system PSU so is good quality! - It is more than you really need but will last if you upgrade later or decide to get a new high performance video card later - The case has free shipping so is a bit better pricewise for your budget but still includes 2 80mm and 1 120 mm fans for good airflow in the case- by getting the combo on the MOBO\OS you save $10 - and the Ram is a cas 7 timing DDR3 module so is also a good deal.

At $465 with the OS and including Shipping it is about the best I could come up with keeping it well below the $500 budget you mentioned.

Glad to help - you could cut a few $ by going with the DVD player and the Ram listed earlier but the RAM didn't have a heat spreader and are a slower speed so I figured the extra $ was worth it - also on the case they do have a couple others in the same design but different colors if you'd prefer something other than the red.

One thing I've found with Newegg is the pricing pretty much changes daily so you may not want to wait too long if ordering (esp on the PSU as I believe that special might be just today and is $60 off!!) Also when putting together an order on a small budget be sure to add in the shipping costs on the parts as they can add up fast (most of the time I use the free shipping option to then look at available items to see if something matches my needs with the free shipping esp. heavy items like the cases and PSU's where the shipping is almost the same as the item in many instances.

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I just put in the order. I went with every thing you suggested except the case. i went with the Antec 200. nice case about the same price no free shipping but a mail in rebate that covers the shipping cost and for some reason I just liked the Antec more.
That PSU is an awesome deal.
thanks again

The Antec is a nice case and I think you'll (or should we say He'll) be happy with the system as it should perform well about the only thing he may need to change is the video card eventually (but then he can always get a summer job to come up with the money for that !) - and with the PSU (If I didn't already have my system built I'd probably be ordering one of those also at that price) you'll have plenty of power if he does decide to get something more powerful. Plus you didn't go too far over the initial budget so the wife shouldn't get too upset with you ! (and figure you can blame the overage on getting that new OS to go with it. (Microsoft is always a good company to place the blame on afterall !!)