fromjules

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hi,
I am brand new to this site.
I have an acer laptop. school board upgrading their pcs so i figured i would buy one. in reading the posts on this site I have figured out that i have one of many laptops that belong to a domain/network. it has windows xp professional. I downloaded a disk to reset password. however it does not work. i am still at the window that asks me to press ctl-alt-delete to log on. I have no passwords nor do i belong to any network . I have no password for the domain. Can someone please help me.

Julia
:(

If you get said laptop used from the school board, someone who supports them should log in as admin and set a local admin password for you and tell you what it is. The alternative is to restore it to factory state if it came with a reset disk or it has a reset partition.

Did I understand that correctly, that you bought used from school when they got new ones?

Please be aware that forum rules prohibit discussion of how to crack / bypass passwords.

fromjules

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I am sorry if i offended anyone regarding crack/bypass passwords. I truly am in a pickle. In buying this laptop I was so happy that it was so inexpensive that I didn't even ask about passwords. It was a very ignorant purchase and I am totally embarrassed about the manner in which I made this purchase as well. Again I apologize for my question being offensive. I will try another means to try to get logged into this laptop. I have no contacts to the school or it's membership. I tried to contact people in the area and had no luck finding anyone to assist. Unfortunately for me, the lack of knowledge I have as well as the short list of people who can help me far outweigh my chances to get to use this laptop!!! I don't have any disks and do not know what a reset partition is. I bought the laptop down south and live in the great white north. I am grateful for your help.

fromjules

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

I am sorry if i offended anyone regarding crack/bypass passwords. I truly am in a pickle. In buying this laptop I was so happy that it was so inexpensive that I didn't even ask about passwords. It was a very ignorant purchase and I am totally embarrassed about the manner in which I made this purchase as well. Again I apologize for my question being offensive. I will try another means to try to get logged into this laptop. I have no contacts to the school or it's membership. I tried to contact people in the area and had no luck finding anyone to assist. Unfortunately for me, the lack of knowledge I have as well as the short list of people who can help me far outweigh my chances to get to use this laptop!!! I don't have any disks and do not know what a reset partition is. I bought the laptop down south and live in the great white north. I am grateful for your help.

It's not offensive; we're not even saying that you did anything wrong. The possibility that someone will show up here seeking access to a stolen machine, or a machine that someone else owns, means that we can never answer these questions, even if they are legitimate.
I
If you can log in at all, we can look for a recovery partition through the control panel.

You can contact Acer and see if they will send / sell you a recovery disk.

You can go to the person who sold it to you and demand a refund for selling you a device that you cannot use.

If you consider it cost-effective, you can buy a retail copy of XP or 7 and install it (assuming the machine has a DVD reader).

fromjules

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

You are a sweetheart. I feel better after reading your email. I am going to follow your advice. I will post back to let you know how it all goes. Take care and continue the good work you and your associates on this site do. Very informative and I learned quite a bit just reading threads. :)

+1 to getting a recovery disk from Acer, you'd want to wipe whatever was on the system beforehand anyway and start clean. Plus the recovery disks will have the right drivers for your computer which a regular XP disk won't.

It's very odd that a school or a business would sell their laptops not wiped, not good at all as they can contain personal and/or confidential documents, saved passwords, etc...