GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L wake on lan?

llee8820

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I searched and searched and cannot for the dear life of me find a straight answer. Does anyone know if a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L suppory wake on lan? And if not, if i buy a NIC card and will I be able to use WoL even if my mobo doesnt support it but the NIC card does? Someone must know thr answer, please! Thanks.

Since this "feature" is in the BIOS I won't buy the MOBO; there is a work-around but {Wake on LAN} doesn't exist in the referenced MOBO. My concern is RELIABILITY for your required feature.

PME Event Wake Up
Allows the system to be awakened from an ACPI sleep state by a wake-up signal from a PCI or
PCIe device. Note: To use this function, you need an ATX power supply providing at least 1A on
the 5VSB lead. (Default: Enabled)

bilbat

Splendid
WOL is configured through Device Manager, using the Power Management and Advanced tabs of the net adaptor itself:
0286.jpg

bilbat

Splendid
Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here... First, there is no WOL setting in the BIOS. The only pertinent entry is "PME Event Wake Up" on the "Power Management Setup" page, which must be "Enabled".
shut your rig down and try to wake it that way
There also is no capability to start up a 'shut down rig'; WOL only works to bring a machine out of an S-State induced hibernation - it must be on and 'asleep' for WOL to work; the power-on by modem ring, mouse, or keyboard use an entirely different BIOS function/mechanism...

Maybe your MOBO lacks WOL in BIOS which is the OPs issue.

PME Event Wake Up ~ is used IF there's an ADDED NIC and/or a MOBO w/o WOL feature. There are more states than that of Hibernation, and the magic packets is used to enable and/or control the behavior in the OS and w/WOL of either stated type.

llee8820

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Thanks for the help, yes there is no wake on LAN in the bios. Only what bilbat said, however I did notice a similar setting in device manager that said "WOL and shutdown speed". No idea what this is though. Anyway so if I'm not mistaken, the PME event is for added NIC cards? So I might be able to buy one and could get WoL to work?

bilbat

Splendid
As usual, I'll over-explain [:fixitbil:9] PME stands for Power Management Event; for older machines to support this function, they had to have an APM-compliant (Advanced Power Management) BIOS and OS; the new standard for these functions is referred to as ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface), which extends the APM concept to allow the OS to selectively control power by individual components.

ACPI supports a variety of power states. Each state represents a different level of power, from fully powered up to completely powered down, with partial levels of power in each intermediate state. Here is a quick synopsis:

S0 On and fully operational.
S1 System is in low power mode (a.k.a. sleep mode). The CPU clock is stopped, but RAM is powered on and being refreshed.
S2 Similar to S1, but power is removed from the CPU.
S3 Suspend to RAM (a.k.a. standby mode). Basically, most components are shutdown except RAM.
S4 Suspend to disk (a.k.a. hibernate mode). The memory contents are swapped to the disk drive, and then reloaded into RAM when the system is awakened.
S5 Power off.

Very few systems support wake from S5, which essentially means - remote turn-on. The ones that do are typically server boards, whose management is handled by an entirely seperate hardware subsystem - usually having it's own, dedicated network interface...

ME-driven wake functions should work fine for your built-in LAN port(s)!

(mostly, compliments of Intel [:bilbat:5] )

^ nice Googling...

To avoid confusion ~ Since your MOBO does NOT support WOL in the BIOS -> setting up anything in the OS is useless. The Magic Packets will NEVER be sent to the OS to recognize.

Again, as I stated, a "work-around" is to:
1. Purchase a separate NIC card (PCIe or PCI) + {verify it supports PME Event Wake Up/ACPI}
2. Enable in BIOS ~ PME Event Wake Up
3. Lastly, configure OS settings as needed.
link - http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009718.htm

My personal past experience is that the "work-around" doesn't always work properly.

---

footnote: I have a lot of experience in this department, including (SMDC)/DRAC ~ Server Management Daughter Card.

bilbat

Splendid
I only do Tyan server boards (much like only GBs), and they, pretty exclusively, use IPMI/iKVM...

Motherboard doesn't need any kind of explicit WOL setting, PME wakeup will do it, as it responds to any power management event. As I pointed out, the config is done directly in device manager...

As usual, I don't know what you're talking about, as it appears you don't know what you're talking about:
The Magic Packets will NEVER be sent.
The so-called magic packet is RECEIVED, not sent! Someone else on the LAN subnet has to originate it - usually sent by network management s'ware, but any number of plain old windoze programs are available to do the task... You don't necessarily have to enable magic packet either - if your router supports DHCP reservations, an ordinary ping should do it - 'Wake On Link'. The problem with this is getting the other machines/router/switches to drop the address properly, or the damned thing will repeatedly wake up immediately after attempts to sleep it, due to ordinary background traffic... Even wireless LAN cards can respond, so long as they are WMM compliant.

I would give this a quick test, but I have two problems: I don't have a system around that is set up to sleep, as I just don't sleep machines here - they are all bereft of their hiberfile to save space; and, I just lost a LinkSys router a week or two back, this stupid Belkin POC has never heard of DHCP reservations, and, though it's BroadCom-based, the gurus over at DD-WRT haven't 'cracked' it yet - but, praise god, there's several astute people working on it currently - so I'm hoping I won't have to crack it and fiddle aroud with the JTAG header...

I own a ton of Dell's with DRAC, but who cares?!

This is CRAZY stuff ~ I carefully stated "NEVER be sent to the OS":

Magic Packets [sent] -> on-board NIC {no WOL/or Disabled} ~ DUH "Black-hole" ||| Stops in its tracks. = OP issue "no Wake On LAN"
Magic Packets [sent] -> on-board NIC {WOL enabled in BIOS} -> OS

Workaround:
Magic Packets [sent] -> PCI NIC {PME Event Wake Up enabled in BIOS} -> OS

This isn't rocket science.

drifter259

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

This doesn't work either. The power to the ethernet interface is shutdown. There is no way to use WOL from a power-down state. My mb is a GA-H55N-USB3