Which motherboard should I get?

mkyan978

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I was just trying to search for an affordable board. I will mainly use it normal use, gaming etc. no video editing. Since it's my first build, I'm not planning on doing OC until I get some more experience. I have basically narrowed it down to the

EVGA p55 LE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813188054

Gigabyte p55-UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Seems like the UD3 is a little better because of the USB 3.0 feature. Is there another $130 board that you would recommend over these 2?

Also, I will be running a 5850. Will I run into any clearance issues with anything behind the pci 2.0 slot? I see on some boards that usually where the logo is, the piece is especially elevated and I was just worried that a 9.5" long card would not be able to fit.

Solution
First off, your links don't work. As for the motherboards, I would highly suggest the SATAIII and USB 3.0 features as they will soon become mainstream. Personally, I would suggest the ASUS P7P55D-E PRO, but that's probably out of your price range at $190. I'd say the Gigabyte P55A-UD3 is a great choice and it stick with that, as long as you know you won't be doing any Xfire since it only has one PCI-E 2.0 slot. As for the 5850, I'm almost certain the heatsink won't get in your way. I say almost because I haven't actually put a 5850 in a UD3, but it looks like it will be fine.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
First off, your links don't work. As for the motherboards, I would highly suggest the SATAIII and USB 3.0 features as they will soon become mainstream. Personally, I would suggest the ASUS P7P55D-E PRO, but that's probably out of your price range at $190. I'd say the Gigabyte P55A-UD3 is a great choice and it stick with that, as long as you know you won't be doing any Xfire since it only has one PCI-E 2.0 slot. As for the 5850, I'm almost certain the heatsink won't get in your way. I say almost because I haven't actually put a 5850 in a UD3, but it looks like it will be fine.

Solution