Extremely slow win 7 x64 install followed by disk read error

G

This is my first build so please bare with me. Any comment will be helpful no matter how insignificant it may be because there may be something obvious that I just happened to overlook.

Setup:
Intel Core i7 930
Asus P6T LGA 1366 X58 ATX
WD 500GB HDD
Corsair 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
PNY GeForce 9800 GT
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W P.S.
AZZA Solano 1000 ATX Full Tower

Upon the first startup everything went smoothly. I went into the BIOS changed the boot priority and that's it. However I noticed that my HDD did not show up under SATA ports. I figured it was something stupid that I did not yet understand (soon to screw me over) so I put the win 7 x64 dvd into the opt. drive and restarted the computer.

Upon installation of the o.s. I noticed that installation was moving very slow. I figured again that I was just being too worried. I went into custom install, made a 20 gb partition for my school work and proceeded to install the o.s. on the other 4xx gb of memory. 5 HOURS LATER installation finishes after going through all of the installation steps and then the computer restarts for the final time and I get the infamous "disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del to restart" i try to restart and same thing happens.

I inspect my installation and realize that I plugged my hdd into the JMicron JMB322 SATA connector SATA_E1 which is used for applications of the Asus Drive Xpert. I quickly changed the connection to the SATA_1 port and restarted, I checked the BIOS and my HDD showed up which was nice. I now began installation for the second time and realized everything is still moving like a snail. I tried to format the 4xx gb partition and it took about 40 min. After it said that the partition is going to fail soon and would not let me install the o.s. on this. I formatted the 20 gb partition and after another 30 min I got the same message.

I got frustrated and turned everything off and hear I am. Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated, if I left out any details or any questions please ask.

Thank you for all your time and help.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You can start from scratch. Start off of the Windows DVD and then choose Install, Advanced (Custom) ... and then select Drive Options. Here you can remove or format the drive and install Windows.

G

I tried this however I got an error saying that the drive was unsafe to install on.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Can you download and run manufacturer's diagnostic tools that work direct from the CD ? You can also use manufacturer's tools to factory-format the HDD.

Conversely, you can connect this HDD to a friend's computer having Vista/Win7 and remove all partitions on it, re-partition and format.

It is not a remote possibility that this HDD is defective.