dbmiller8

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I have not put together a computer almost since they were like an abacus but I am trying to get my son started. He wanted a screaming gaming computer. We have it all assembled and it is running but the SLI is not working. The NVIDIA control panel is supposed to have an option in the 3D menu to enable it but the option just isn't there. The computer has 2 Gigabyte GV-N250OC-1's. The SLI bridge connector is connected. The system sees both cards. The monitor is plugged into the card that is closest to the CPU. If we plug it into the other card, the display gets no signal. Is this normal? The computer has an ASUS Sabertooth 55i mobo, an Intel I7-860 CPU, a 1000 watt power supply and 4 gig of memory. We are using an old copy of XP that we just updated with SP3. I am not sure if I am missing something in the mobo BIOS or where else I have gone wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks,
Dave

Update:I tried swapping video cards. Both are working. I have read that I may need to install one, load the drivers then install the second and load the drivers. I have looked to see if there is a switch on the mobo but there is not one. I also do not see anything in the BIOS to change how it sees the video cards. I have not updated the BIOS or the video card drivers. I guess that would be next...

dbmiller8

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks. We will try using updated drivers. I found they have one for XP in particular. If that does not help, I will get another SLI bridge. As far as setting one of the cards to be dedicated, would I do that in the BIOS? I could find nothing in the ASUS BIOS that pertains to video cards. I will have my son update the BIOS as well as it looks a lot less a pain in the arse than it used to be(can be done through a Windows app according to the mobo literature). Thanks again. I will post results as well...

dbmiller8

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks JackNaylorPE. I did not see 2 options to use as a bridge but I didn't do the unpacking. A pretty excited 14 year old did so the extra parts are in a bit of a state of disarray. I will dig through and see though. That may be the ticket. (I like the US Blues/Dead avatar).

dbmiller8

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks. The problem is solved. I am blaming Bill Gates. I told my son he should get all the updates from Microsoft so that XP is up to date and secure. In my job, I troubleshoot the microlithography equipment when it breaks and my question to the techs is always, what happened right before the failure. Well, in hind site, after installing SP3, the pig would not boot. Then we were unable to install any updated drivers and have them take because we always would have to start with last good known config. After we un-installed the update, and tried many other things, the computer booted and we were able to install the updated drivers. BTW-I had him remove one of the video cards too. So I am not sure if that is needed too but long winded post short, the SLI is working and the boy is happily tweaking this and that. Thanks for everyones help!