Boot file

Hello,

Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong group. I
am not sure which heading to put this under.

Can someone tell me how I can learn the language to
write a different boot.ini file? My Laptop's Bios does
not have the choice to boot from a USB drive, but it does
have the choice to boot from a LAN. My Laptop is
connected to a Network using a NetGear Router (WGT634U).
The Router has a USB port so I can connect an external
drive to it, which allows me to access the drive through
my Network. Now I would like to know how to write a
boot.ini file so I can boot from this drive.

All help will be deeply appreciated!
Sincerely,
Jim
4 answers Last reply
More about boot file

    "Jim Huber" <jimhuber27@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong group. I
    > am not sure which heading to put this under.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how I can learn the language to
    > write a different boot.ini file? My Laptop's Bios does
    > not have the choice to boot from a USB drive, but it does
    > have the choice to boot from a LAN. My Laptop is
    > connected to a Network using a NetGear Router (WGT634U).
    > The Router has a USB port so I can connect an external
    > drive to it, which allows me to access the drive through
    > my Network. Now I would like to know how to write a
    > boot.ini file so I can boot from this drive.
    >
    > All help will be deeply appreciated!
    > Sincerely,
    > Jim

    If the bios doesn't support booting to USB, the boot.ini could do for you.
    The bios would have to be able to access the drive to see the boot.ini file
    that's written there.

    I am not trying to boot to a USB drive. I want to boot
    to a LAN.

    Jim Huber wrote on 07-Oct-2004 5:09 PM:

    > Can someone tell me how I can learn the language to
    > write a different boot.ini file? My Laptop's Bios does
    > not have the choice to boot from a USB drive, but it does
    > have the choice to boot from a LAN. My Laptop is
    > connected to a Network using a NetGear Router (WGT634U).
    > The Router has a USB port so I can connect an external
    > drive to it, which allows me to access the drive through
    > my Network. Now I would like to know how to write a
    > boot.ini file so I can boot from this drive.

    The System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) has a boot.ini tab that
    can help you create a boot.ini file for existing Windows installations
    that it can find.

    However, the LAN boot protocol is unique. It isn't like a hard drive
    boot. I don't know the details, but your server needs to understand the
    PXE protocol or another protocol that I don't recall the acronym for.
    You can't access a USB drive on a remote device without a protocol. When
    you are booting, SMB or NetBIOS is not an option. Does your NetGear
    router support a LAN boot protocol that matches your system capabilities?

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

    Hello Mr. England,

    From what you wrote and from your question I can see I
    am trying to get into something way over my head. I am so
    lost that it is like you are talking a whole different
    language to me. I guess if I am this lost I should not
    try to take this any farther. I want to Thank you for
    your assistance and I appreciate your help.

    Thanks again!
    Sincerely,
    Jim

Configuration Boot Windows XP