M4A79T Deluxe LAN failure

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I recently experienced some OS failures that began with a bad system wake up. After a lot of stress, i was able to fix everything with system restore. Yet, even though everything else is back to normal, the ethernet controller seems to have failed. Completely. (For clarity, the failure occured during my problems but was not fixed when I rolled back to a time prior to the issue).

Absolutely no recognition by OS or realtek. It is a realtek 8112 onboard LAN. When I try to install the drivers I've always used before, Realtek says that it cannnot find an ethernet controller. On the back of the mainboard, there are LED's in the ethernet port that seem ro have stopped functioning. Yes, I did confirm onboard LAN is enabled in the BIOS.

I've tried everything and am at a complete loss. I am beginning to suspect hardware failure. That seems unlikely because every other port and function of my motherboard seems to be functioning. If it is a hardware failure, is it just coincidence that it happened at the same time as my other issues?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Solution
You would like to do a CLEAR CMOS before condemning the ethernet chip or better remove the battery for ten minutes and then press the power button on the case several times to discharge all capacitors. Install the battery and see if the ethernet chip is recognized now.

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Yes, I confirmed it was a hardware failure. I booted ubuntu and did an lspci command and the Ethernet controller did not appear on the list of pci devices. Additionally, multiple miscellaneous hardware motherboard problems are popping up.

It is still in warranty, but I don't know if I still have all the documentation/driver CD. Who do I even call? I've been searching the Asus site for a number, but they have made it sufficiently impossible to contact them. Should I call the retailer, Newegg?

I'd rather not be out my computer while I wait for Asia-based Asus to send me a new motherboard. Can they send me a new one and then I send them my broken one?

Will they even take it back? Who do I contact?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You would like to do a CLEAR CMOS before condemning the ethernet chip or better remove the battery for ten minutes and then press the power button on the case several times to discharge all capacitors. Install the battery and see if the ethernet chip is recognized now.

Solution

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

Call Asus at 510-739-3777 The place they RMA stuff out of is Indiana.