Sign in with
Your question

SSD not showing up in computer

Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2012 9:02:16 AM

Ok so I bought this OCZ vertex sata II drive and I just got it today put in my computer (sata III mobo) and connected it with the previous cord connecting my HDD to Mobo. I plug in the power and the blue light showing it has power turns on I flip my computer on and then it says your OCZ driver is ready for use I click on the notification (windows 7 btw if you haven't caught on) it has the green checkmark and next to it, it says your device is ready for use OCZ blah blah blah. I go into computer and all I see is my HDD (C:)  I really want to use this one and i dun feel like returning stuff...

More about : ssd showing computer

a c 277 G Storage
January 4, 2012 11:59:27 AM

Did you partition and format it? New drives must be partitioned and formatted before they show up as a drive letter. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-insta...

The most usual use for a first SSD is to do a clean re-install of the OS on it and use it as your OS drive, BTW. Lots of threads here about that.
January 4, 2012 9:36:34 PM

Ok so I followed that guide but when I right click my block it gives me greyed out option and properties then help no option to create a new partition
Related resources
January 4, 2012 9:41:13 PM

what m/b do you have?
have you connected it to the right connectors? is your bios settings correct?
a c 277 G Storage
January 5, 2012 11:42:23 AM

fxdoggy said:
Ok so I followed that guide but when I right click my block it gives me greyed out option and properties then help no option to create a new partition

Can you post an image of what shows in Disk Manager? And possibly Device Manager? One picture is frequently worth 954 words (they are having a discount this week).
February 6, 2014 1:01:28 PM

this thread helped me get my SSD working. Thanks again to a great PC community!!
!