Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Final check on my watercooling loop before I order

Last response: in Overclocking
August 19, 2012 11:30:41 PM

Ok so I have a mo-ra3 and a ordered already.

Here is the tubing I am buying, though I might get a different diameter not sure yet.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fetuftacuvho3.html
I'll be getting the hydro copper 690
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-269...
THis is the cpu block I will by unless there is a better one
ww.frozencpu.com/products/14186/ex-blc-971/XSPC_RayStorm_High_Performance_Acetal_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Intel_Sockets_LGA_775_1155_1156_1366_2011.html?tl=g30c85s139

I need a res top for the MCP35X

Will I have metal corrosion issues with this setup?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2012 11:57:04 PM

I do not know, but there are a lot of people that do not have issues with this topic and they use distilled water.

I have never had a corrosion issue because I use water wetter as a PH balancer for my loop, if you have an issue later this will solve it and prevent further corrosion.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:38:12 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
I do not know, but there are a lot of people that do not have issues with this topic and they use distilled water.

I have never had a corrosion issue because I use water wetter as a PH balancer for my loop, if you have an issue later this will solve it and prevent further corrosion.

I should have specified I was going to just use distilled water. I'm now messing with any coolant, too much risk for too little reward.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 4:45:44 AM

I have never built a system with the intention of using just distilled water. if I did, I would try my best to limit the different types of metal being used within the loop itself by getting all copper or brass fittings for the system, but this is me and I am overly cautious about this type of thing
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 5:02:51 AM

Do you have a kill coil? :) 
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:47:20 AM

amuffin said:
Do you have a kill coil? :) 

I will definitely be getting one
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:48:22 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
I have never built a system with the intention of using just distilled water. if I did, I would try my best to limit the different types of metal being used within the loop itself by getting all copper or brass fittings for the system, but this is me and I am overly cautious about this type of thing

I am also overly cautious especially when I am putting thousands of dollars on the line lol. Isn't it just aluminum that I need to watch out for?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:15:04 AM

If that Were actually true people would not still be having this issue. The problem is not just aluminum it is the interaction between different metals that causes the problem. I could go into a whole spill about the chemistry, but the simple answer is this. The fewer metals within the loop, the less likely hood that corrosion will occur in your loop. Even with this rule being followed there is still the possibility of it happening, in the time that I have been here at tom’s I have helped three people with corrosion within their loops. Out of about 200 loops that I have seen, so the problem is not rampant by any means. The only commonality I could find with their systems was that they were built up over years, and because of this there where a few different types of fittings being used. If I were to guess I would say that this is the issue, but I do not know for positive. What I do know is that after coating the affected fittings with finger nail polish or repainting them, and adding water wetter to their system the corrosion has not returned.
September 16, 2012 2:40:42 AM

Best answer selected by monkeymonk.
m
l
September 16, 2012 2:46:06 AM

It's been a while I know. I couldn't figure out what type of metal that cpu block is butI didn't think spending twice as much for the copper edition made enough sense.
Anyways I've ordered all my parts except for the 690 hydro copper which I should hopefully be able to get on Monday.

Would anyone be interested in seeing a build log for this? It is a little unusual seeing as how I am mounting the radiator on the side of the case.
If you guys are interested then is there a particular place I should post it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 5:25:56 AM

thanks for BA man
m
l
September 16, 2012 9:29:46 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
thanks for BA man

No problemo I always choose one even if it's a very very long time later haha