1st Build up and running, Couple Questions

anoa

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Built my first computer and got it running with Windows 7 64bit installed. Next thing on my list was to update the drivers. I am using an ASUS P6X58D motherboard so I went to their website and looked at the drivers they had for download. They list the following, not including BIOS:

Chipset (1)
Audio (1)
Lan (1)
USB (2)
Utilities (7)
Sata (2)

Question is, do I just run the self install programs in each category. I ran the chipset driver install program that came with the driver download and it seemed to work. Under Device Manager where would I look to see if the Chipset driver is up to date. If I don't run the self install programs what is the best way to update the drivers?

Another question involves my RAM. Using CPU-Z it shows on the "Memory" page that my DRAM Freq is 534 Mhz and 8-8-8-20. I am using 6GB Corsair Dominator Ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224 with specs of 1600Mhz and 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v. In the BIOS I left everything at AUTO so do I need to go in and manually set things or am I looking at the wrong things and everything is working. I know a lot of people suggest to change things off AUTO.

And one more question. Using CPUID Hardware Monitor I see Core #2 on my 920 is running about 4-5 degrees hotter than the rest. All the other cores at idle are running around 32C while #2 36C. Did I not get the thermal paste and cooler on correct or is this normal for one core to run a little hotter.

Thanks,

See above

anoa

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Think I got all my Drivers done. Went ahead and used the self installers and didn't have any problems.

Manually configured my RAM in BIOS this morning. Changed to the following:

DRAM Freq: DDR3-1600
DRAM CAS# Latency: 8
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 8
DRAM RAS# Pre Time: 8
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64

Everything is still working and I am running prime95 at the moment. CPU usage has been at 100% now for about 15 minutes and my core temps are in the 52-56C area. Probably run it for an hour and see how things turn out.