Sign in with
Your question

Please help. Serious overheating problem.

Last response: in Overclocking
August 20, 2012 1:45:02 AM

Ok. I have a huge problem with my PC. Yesterday it started randomly cutting off out of the blue. Sometimes it would shut off in minutes of being turned on. A few times it would stay on for an hour before shutting itself off. Other times, it would shut off within seconds of me turning it on. It has been doing the same thing today. Yesterday, after looking up some information online, I saw that overheating might be an issue. I downloaded CPUID and sure enough, my cpu was over 100C and all 6 of my cores were at 100C. I turned it off and took off a side panel and used a can of air to blow as much of the dust inside out as well as blowing out all 5 fans my computer has plus the graphics card fan and power supply fan. I think started the computer back up and it still went up to over 100C on my cpu. When it got up to 118C, it wasn't long before it shut off. Today, I removed the side panel and placed two small fans I usually use in my room to keep it cool right outside my computer to blow extra air through it. It helped some, but the temp still goes up to 118C or so and the computer shuts down. I really have no clue what to do. The specs for the computer are below. I will also post the info from CPUID as well. I am completely helpless when it comes to computers. I built this computer in Feb. 2011 from Cyber Power (probably a mistake building my own computer when I have no idea what I'm doing) and it cost me an arm and a leg. Having lost my job at the beginning of this year, I just can't afford to replace this computer. At the moment, I can't really even afford taking it to the shop. That's why I've come here to see if there is anything a complete computer noob can do on their own before trying to find some way of paying a profession to do it. So here are the specs. Also, when I got the computer, I had Cyber Power overclock the graphics card. I'm not sure it that shows up on the specs. Also, I occasionally hear strange sounds coming from my computer. It almost sounds like there's a mouse inside it, but considering it sealed, that's impossible. I have checked the wires and none of them look chewed or damaged. Everything on the computer "appears" to be working normally, but to me, everything is working normally unless its on fire and smoke is coming from it. So please let me know if there's anything I can do to get my baby working again before I have to sell a kidney to get her in the shop. This is my World of Warcraft computer. It has served me pretty good the last year and a half. Please help me figure out what I can do to fix her.

PC Pitstop Active X Build 211

Browser MSIE 7.0

System OS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

System OS Install Date Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 CST 1900

System Make Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model X58A-UD3R

Main Board Make Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Main Board Model X58A-UD3R

Main Board Version

Main Board BIOS Award Software International, Inc. Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG HPQOEM - 42302e31 20101117

Processor Description Intel #206c2

Number of Processors 12

Processor Clock Speed 3,330 MHz

Graphics Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Video Memory Not Scanned

Memory Installed 12,288 MB

Memory Slots 6 slots

2048+2048+2048+2048+2048+2048;DIMM

Drive Name (C)

Drive Size (C) 476,837 MB

Drive Format (C) NTFS

Drive Name (E)

Drive Size (E) 953,866 MB

Drive Format (E) NTFS

Drive Name (F) System Reserved

Drive Size (F) 99 MB

Drive Format (F) NTFS

Drive Name (G)

Drive Size (G) 28,523 MB

Drive Format (G) NTFS

Drive Name (H) Expansion Drive

Drive Size (H) 476,937 MB

Drive Format (H) NTFS

DVD-RAM Model TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L

DVD-RAM Read Speed 8,467 KB/sec (48X)

DVD-RAM Write Speed 8,467 KB/sec (48X)

Monitor Model HP S2331 Series Wide LCD Monitor

Monitor Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels

Monitor Screen Size 19.9 x 11.3 inches
22.9 inches (diagonal)

Monitor Manufacture Date Friday, April 09, 2010
===============================================================
CPUID info
Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 0.96 Volts [0x3C] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.65 Volts [0x67] (DDR)
Voltage 2 3.34 Volts [0xD1] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 4.92 Volts [0xB7] (+5V)
Voltage 5 12.42 Volts [0xC2] (+12V)
Voltage 8 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 35°C (95°F) [0x23] (Mainboard)
Temperature 1 104°C (219°F) [0x68] (CPU)
Temperature 2 47°C (116°F) [0x2F] (Northbridge)
Fan 0 2872 RPM [0xEB] (CPU)
Fan 1 702 RPM [0x3C2] (FANIN1)
Fan 2 1193 RPM [0x236] (Power)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)
Core 0 100°C (212°F)
Core 1 100°C (212°F)
Core 2 99°C (210°F)
Core 8 100°C (212°F)
Core 9 100°C (212°F)
Core 10 100°C (212°F)
Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Voltage 0 0.96 Volts [0x3C3] (VIN0)
Temperature 0 39°C (102°F) [0x27] (TMPIN0)
Fan 0 1440 RPM [0x5A0] (FANIN0)
Fan PWM 0 40 pc [0x28] (FANPWMIN0)

More about : overheating problem

a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 2:09:45 AM

i read all of that and i still dont know what your cpu is, but im guessing its the 980 or 990x

try re seating your cpu cooler, cleaning it (90% alcohol is the best apparently, i use 70% and it works fine)... and re applying your TIM
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 2:15:22 AM

is the CPU fan spinning of standing still whan the comp is on?

if it is spinning, it does not matter beacuse the CPU cooler needs to be replaced, at that temp it is not working right.

can't say that i truly understand the problem as the explanition is a little vage as to the cooling you have on the cpu.

the rest of the temps seem right for that build

m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 2:33:54 AM

I think that it's either you need to reseat the CPU heatsink, or maybe your processor is faulty. It sounds similar to my brothers problem. His comp would crash while gaming out of the blue. We noticed temps were high so we called intel. They tried a couple tests and ended up rmaing the chip. PCs been perfect since.
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:21:46 AM

The problem I am having is that my computer keeps randomly turning off. I think it is because of overheating given the temps I've seen on my cpu and cores. All 6 of my cores seem to stay at 100°C, but my cpu goes up passed 115°C and usually shuts off when it gets much higher than that. My computer has 5 fans for cooling plus the graphics card fan and power supply fan. It also uses liquid cooling. Here is the liquid cooling being used:
XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
I'm not sure what the normal temp for my system should be, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be over 100°C. And here is my cpu:
Intel(R) Core™ i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 12M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Now how hard is reseating the heatsink? Is it something someone with absolutely no experience with fixing computers should try on a $3500 computer or do I need to take it to a shop?
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:38:54 AM

Keljar said:
The problem I am having is that my computer keeps randomly turning off. I think it is because of overheating given the temps I've seen on my cpu and cores. All 6 of my cores seem to stay at 100°C, but my cpu goes up passed 115°C and usually shuts off when it gets much higher than that. My computer has 5 fans for cooling plus the graphics card fan and power supply fan. It also uses liquid cooling. Here is the liquid cooling being used:
XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
I'm not sure what the normal temp for my system should be, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be over 100°C. And here is my cpu:
Intel(R) Core™ i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 12M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Now how hard is reseating the heatsink? Is it something someone with absolutely no experience with fixing computers should try on a $3500 computer or do I need to take it to a shop?

First do your self a favor and don't even use your PC until this is fixed. 100°C and above is at a huge risk of hardware damage. If you have no experience with fixing your PC take it to a shop for repair. If you bought the PC from a place like Ibuypower contact them and see if they will repair it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 4:40:34 AM

Well if you do not feel safe doing it, and it is under warranty take it in and they will do it for you. If it is the processor they should RMA it for you as well
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:44:01 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the pump in your liquid cooler has quit working. That would explain the squeaking noise and now extremely high temperatures. Can you hear the pump running at all? Even if it is "silent," you should be able to hear something. To isolate other noise in the system and listen just to the pump, you could use something like a long screwdriver to listen to the pump. Put the handle of the screwdriver up against your ear and put the blade up against the pump housing. The sound from the pump will be transmitted by the screwdriver to your ear. If you don't hear anything, the pump is not working and needs to be replaced.

If the pump is making some sound, you're going to need to verify that it is still pumping fluid. I don't know the specifics of your setup, but you might be able to pinch one of the tubes and listen for changes in the sound from the pump or feel for water flow through the tube as you pinch it. You may also just need to add coolant. Searching the web, I found examples of people complaining that this particular water cooler can leak.

HTH

--Russel
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:35:17 AM

I agree there is an issue with the liquid cooling system. Since it is liquid cooled opening the side and or blowing some air in will have little effect. Your cpu is not cooled by air flow. Water pumps do exhibit a chirping or squeaking sound when they go bad. Since the liquid cooling pump and radiator often have more than a year warranty and you seem to have zero funds to just replace, I would call Cyber and see what they say. Also leave the system off (except to briefly test) until you figure this out. It is not safe to operate (no danger of fire but component damage) if the cpu cooling is defective.
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:44:13 AM

Ok. I've been monitoring my computer's temp and for the last 4+ hours, the cpu and core temps have been around 60°C. I haven't done anything to change the computer. The only programs running on my computer are chrome, skype, and cpuid. Amazingly the temp has stayed around 60°C. I have felt both coolant hoses and I believe I can feel water moving through them. I haven't heard the strange noises I've heard before. Maybe this means something is "going" out and needs to be replaced before it goes completely. I'm going to call Cyber Power later on today and see what my 3 year limited warranty covers and if I can send it to them to fix it. I think maybe the coolant pump is going out. Still, before I send it to them, I might call my local computer repair shop and see how much they would charge to completely clean out my computer including the liquid cooling system. Hopefully it won't be too high.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:57:23 AM

To answer that the amount will be 600 to 1000 to clean it all.

Most pumps slow down before thay stop all together.

m
l
August 20, 2012 8:52:33 AM

$600 to $1000 just for a cleaning? Seriously?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 9:08:56 AM

you can call tomarrow, but do not be suprised, that is why most of the people here do it there self.

you are talking about several hours of work how much did you think it would cost?
m
l
August 20, 2012 11:38:39 AM

I don't think it will cost $600-$1000, but I also don't think you'll find a local computer repair shop that has much experience with water cooling. Not very many people go down that route. Also, most water cooling components are not easily serviced. I doubt, for example, that any computer shop will be able to disassemble the pump and assess its condition without destroying it first. Not to mention getting replacement parts and reassembling it without it leaking.

If you are out of warranty and are looking for the cheapest fix, it would be to abandon the water cooling and go to a high-end air cooler. They are fairly easy to install and you could get something for under $60 that would do a good job. If you want to stick with water cooling, there are a lot of sealed systems in the under $150 range that would be an easy replacement. That said, a lot of coolers require removing the motherboard for installation, which I wouldn't suggest you try since you say you have no idea what you're doing.

--Russel
m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 12:54:09 PM

Keljar said:
Ok. I've been monitoring my computer's temp and for the last 4+ hours, the cpu and core temps have been around 60°C. I haven't done anything to change the computer. The only programs running on my computer are chrome, skype, and cpuid. Amazingly the temp has stayed around 60°C. I have felt both coolant hoses and I believe I can feel water moving through them. I haven't heard the strange noises I've heard before. Maybe this means something is "going" out and needs to be replaced before it goes completely. I'm going to call Cyber Power later on today and see what my 3 year limited warranty covers and if I can send it to them to fix it. I think maybe the coolant pump is going out. Still, before I send it to them, I might call my local computer repair shop and see how much they would charge to completely clean out my computer including the liquid cooling system. Hopefully it won't be too high.

I concur with all the pump failure diagnosis!

Sounds like you're totally on borrowed time so I don't suggest you continue running the computer, intermittent failure is just a prelude to complete failure.

IMO with no experience your best and cheapest option (staying away from the repair shop if you possibly can, because in your situation they know they've got you!), would be to get a similar CPU cooling solution and just change it out.

Forget the fixing route, swap out a new cooler.

Hopefully you could use the old clamping screws and springs and not have to pull the motherboard, it would be a simple matter of look how it was installed, remove it and take notes during the process, and reinstall the new in the reverse you removed the old.

Scary stuff with no experience but definitely not impossible, just an option for you to consider.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 1:47:41 PM

If you still have warranty on it, I wouldn't touch it even if you knew what you were doing. Say for instance, you fix your CPU cooler, but later, your motherboard starts going bad. You then can't RMA the PC because you voided the warranty (depending on what it actually states).

If your warranty is past expiration, I agree with what others have said and you should consider a replacement cooler for your CPU.

Quote:

$3500 for that PC is a crime in itself- even when it was new, you could easily build the same rig almost twice over for that cost.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 9:30:45 PM

It is possible that you had a blockage in one of the tubes (partial). They will build up deposits if the coolant was not 100% sterile and all air properly vented before sealing. Your squeezing the tubes my have cleared a blockage. I would not bet on this however as to say it is fixed.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 12:20:51 AM

I'm betting it was an airlock in the tubing or pump rather than any kind of coolant deposit.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 3:15:05 AM

Good point +1
m
l
!